Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I Add A Windows 2000 PRO W/S to An NT 4 Domain Whcih is not run

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegleg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2003
GB
Hi Everybody,

I have a nt 4 server (I know it is old) and a W2K W/S which I am trying to add to the domain, but it keeps telling me that their is no domain by that name.

I have 8 other W2K pc's on this domain all working fine but this pc (which I had to install a new h/d after failure) just will not join.

H E L P ? ?

Many thanks

Can you compare the IP settings of the W2k Wks with the other PCs - is it pointing to the correct WINS server?
What about the PDC - which WINS server is it pointing to?

forum.gif
NetoMeter

Hi.

First the basic question (please excuse if this is so obvious that only a real newbie would get it wrong, but hey! I've done it wrong many times before!)

Can you ping the Server? If not, you have a network problem, so check your network card and cable are installed and connected properly, and that the IP address is correct, with teh correct subnet mask.

If you can ping the server, your network connectivity is OK. So, the following may be of use.

I have a network of about 8 W/s with Win2K Pro and 2 with XP Pro. The network has an NT4 Server as the PDC. I have had the same problem as you, and it is easily fixed!

Install NetBui on the Win2K Work station.

How would I add netbeui ???

just a thought, if it is anything like xp pro you need to join the pc to the workgroup first, then join it to the domain. its a faf on but seem to work... might be what you need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back