Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I add a second e-mail domain? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

doior

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
We have abcd.com and now need some of our recipients to recieve e-mail from 1234.com. We have bought the new domain and need to receive that e-mail on the abcd.com system. I know about changing the mx record to point the new domain to our server but how do I get exchange 2k to accept the new mail and deliver.

Add the new domain to the recipient Policies.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I have the same question, do I have to add anything to the individual user accounts? I want my users to be able to recieve from both the new and old domains. so I have users and I want people to be able to address user@olddomain.com or user@newdomain.com and they will recieve the mail. So if I add that new domain to the receipient policy, is that it? thanks for the advice.

then you have to give the users a second SMTP address, reflecting the new one.
The one you make default will be the one is goes out with!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

If you have the "automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy" selected then you should find that users will automatically have user@newdomain added to thir address list. Depending on which address you selected as default in the policy will depend which address they send out on.

I knew it would be found there in the recipeint policy. I just did not think that it could be that simple.

Thank you for the info...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back