Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I add a new printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzeppy

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
HI All,

My company will be recieving a phaser 6200n color printer any day soon. I am trying to find out as much as possible in order to install it on the network when it arrives. (my first time doing this)
(the main server is nw4.11 with win95,win98 workstation and about 7 other printers are installed on the network)

correct me if I am wrong;
From what I have read there are several ways to do this, a safer way to install with less posibility of damageing the existing printers' setup, is to go into pconsole from a workstation and use 'insert' to create a new print que entry, print server entry, and printer entry
for the new printer. i should use names like Q_PHASER6200 for the Que, and S_Phaser6200 for the print server.

How will the server know the device I connected to the network (ethernet) is the phaser6200 printer? If I do define the que, print server and printer- how will they know they are for the '6200 printer's address? (or how do I tell it)

Go get a book on adminstering NW4.11, most of the documentation you find on NetWare is about printing, because it's the most wanted service and the most problematic service.

To get your Phaser setup, you create three objects in your tree. A queue object, printer object, and print server object. You then link all three objects together (assignments). Now you must have bindery emulation enabled to do printing this way, which you should already have if you have other network printers on line using the print queue method of network printing.

Next you will need to program the Phaser printer it's self. Not familure with their admin software, but in general, you will need to name the print server in the Phaser admin software to the same exact print server object you created in NDS.

This is all done over IPX. If you want to print over IP, you will need to use NDPS to do it that way. Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer
provogeek@hotmail.com
East Bay, California; USA

The printer arrived. It came with software, there was a progam with a 'wizzard'to install the the printer to netware. (My supervisor was there and did the installation).

The included software simplified creating the print Que, printer and print server. (compared to the proceedure in my netware book)

thanks for your help,
j

Brent:

I have a similiar problem, I went through every step in the admin book for netware 4.11, adding the printer, que and printserver. On the client box, we added NTPWIN95.exe to connect the local printer to the que on the server, all we ever get is "Printer xxxx is already in use, please select another printer." What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating, we ended up using the old printer que for the old printer that the new one replaced.

John Garrison

actdjohng,
Sorry, can't help. I avoid using the remote printer utilities, I haven't done one in about 4 years now and that one was hair pulling. So my expeience is on the low end when it comes to remote printers.

Using a network printer the way you are using it is the most painfull way of nework printing. Unless you are using a printer that requires direct IO with a PC, spend the 300 bucks and get your self a print server (thats HP, off brand should be cheeper).

Network printers are easier to deal with and in fact are much faster since you send the print job to them at 10/100MB (print server internal to the printer). Going through an LPT port you only send at 8bits. Using an external print server doesn't speed this up, but it does remove the burden of spolling the print job to the printer from the workstation. Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer
provogeek@hotmail.com
East Bay, California; USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back