Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I access/log in to my routers control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

concort

Technical User
Dec 7, 2006
US
I cannot figure out how to log in to change my routers firewall settings? I have a DI-524 D-Link router and need to dissable the firewall. How do I do this? I thought you log in by typing 192.168.0.1 into browser? However when I do this it does not bring anything up? It times out. No admin comes up to log in to. Can anyone help? I really need to change my firewall settings!

Thanks in advance!

Go to a cmd prompt on a client or server and type in ipconfig at the prompt. The default gateway IP address that appears is what you need to type into your browser.

Have you read your router manual/user guide for instructions on how to manage the router?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Hello - thank you for your reply. Sorry for my ignorance but what is "cmd prompt"? I tried typing in my router's ip address directly into IE but it just did a google search for it.

Thanks

Assuming you're using Windows 7 click on the Start button, select All Programs, then Accessories, and select "Command Prompt". In the command prompt window that pops up type ipconfig at the prompt and hit enter. The default gateway IP address is the address of your router.

The above is just to confirm that what you think is your router's IP address is in fact the router's IP address.

In looking at the user guide and support pages you should get a login page by typing in the IP address of the router. That's why I'm wondering if the router's IP address is not the default.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

HI, thanks. This worked for checking the IP address of the internet connection to this pc however this PC is connected via ethernet cord not wireless. I do have a wireless router and that is what I need to get access to somehow in order to change firewall settings. How do I do this? I have the ip address of this router already (192.168.0.1) but when I type that into my browser window it just google searches that address. How do I get access to the admin for my router to change firewall settings?

Power cycle the router,(unplug the power cord for a few seconds) restart the computer and try logging into the router again.

I actually did do that already. But really what will that do for me? I need to access the wireless router admin controls so I can modify the firewall. Do you know how I do this??

Reason being, I got this ipod and one of the video chat apps won't connect through our wifi...Apple said it was due to our firewall. Not sure how much truth is in that but regardless I need to access the router's controls panel and reset some firewall settings. Can you help so I can custom set some of these settings?

power cycling the router just reboots it and will usually clear an inability to get to the log in prompt.
When you open your browser and go to the address bar wipe everything out and type in just
This should bring you to the logon prompt for the router.

The DI-524 will not allow you to forward enough ports, to run iChat. You should try using the DMZ portion of this router if it is available.
You would need to find out what IP address the ipod gets from the router and look through the dlinks settings check the box to enable the DMZ and input the IP address assigned to the ipod save settings and try from there.

You get access to the entire setup of the router when you access the IP address identified as the gateway in the IPCONFIG command mentioned earlier.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back