Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do get past 26 drive letters for pseudo-CD-tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyG

Technical User
Feb 21, 2000
US
Visit site
Well, we now have the technology to do document imaging so<br>
we can keep our docs on hand to peruse instantly. So, we<br>
would now need a CD-tower. However, 'they ain't cheap'.<br>
<br>
So, I thought about getting a 20 gig drive, partitioning it<br>
in 650 meg drives and putting each CD of docs on it, thereby<br>
negating buying a cd-tower. How do I get past the 26 letters of drives limitation? <br>
<br>
Or should I just partition it in about 5 drives and put more than one CD in each partition? <p>Ken Wilkins<br><a href=mailto:admin@boethos.org>admin@boethos.org</a><br><a href=boethos.org (new)>Boethos International</a><br>Starting a web-based ministry for EMTs and Firefighters, other medical people. Thats the Boethos.org. New site. It's parked, now tweaking pages to put up. Also writing a book for EMT's.

I don't think there is! You may have to do what you said with the 5 drive partition.

Go with your own second suggestion.&nbsp;&nbsp;Create one folder called CDs or CDROMs and then create a sub-folder under that for each CD.&nbsp;&nbsp;Copy each physical CD into its own folder that you have created.&nbsp;&nbsp;Share each folder individually and the users can then map their own drive as required, if required.&nbsp;&nbsp;For most purposes, you won't even need to bother to map a drive letter.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example if the CD-server PC is called VCDTOWER (V being virtual!) and one of the CDs is GRAPHICS1, then from the client PC, connect to:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;\\VCDTOWER\CDROMs\GRAPHICS1<br>Hope this helps out!<br>Ian Cowie<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back