Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do change the colors of the TitleBar in java 1.3 with Swing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelTrains

Programmer
Nov 12, 2002
US
We have a Swing application in java 1.3 that is used as normal for accessing production data (PROD), but they will soon have an Archive database (ARCHIVE) where the same application will be used. The database knows if it is PROD or ARCHIVE, but the users want the titlebar to be a red background with white text. This is easy in Java 1.4, but this app is currently in Java 1.3. How can I change the colors on the TitleBar?

P.S. - This application will be converted to Java 1.4 later this year.

If you're talking about the JFrame title bar, then I don't think it's possible in 1.3. I seem to remember reading that this bit of the window belongs to the operating system outside of Java.

Incidentally, if you're going to be putting in the work to convert to a later JDK, why not skip 1.4 and go straight to Tiger? I'd imagine the amount of work (minor code changes and lots of testing) would be the same but you'd be much more up-to-date.

Tim

minor code changes and lots of testing

That will depend on the application, I hope it doesn't deal with focus management.

Cheers,
Dian

It was only a thought, and admittedly based on too many assumptions, Dian.

Tim

Tim,
You are correct, it is JFrame. We have SEVERAL applications we support that have been written in 1.4, we are just bringing this one up to the same level this Summer. There is a lager project "on the table" to bring ALL our java-based applications up to current [proven] technology. The user's will just have to wait until the August release of the application to get the color change.

Thanks again for your answer!

Dian, the app does have a little focus management, but that is why we are upgrading to 1.4 for the time being... so we won't have to deal with it next year when everything is being upgraded. Thank you for being insightful!

Mike

I was thinking that it refers to how you control the traversal of focus between controls. Is this what you mean Dian?

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back