Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW DO A SHARE A FILES WITH TWO DIFFERENT IP ADDRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybermac

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2003
PH
How do I connect my PC between two computers with different IP address, I'm using windows xp with two lan cards. I want to share my files for two Computers with different IP address, Computer A(192.200.x.x) and Computer B(192.168.x.x)

Are these computers both on the same lan? If so you will need to change Computers A IP to 192.168.Y.X, Computer B will have to have an IP of 192.168.Y.X also make sure your machine has an IP of 192.168.Y.X in these IP's Y must be the same. If these computers arent both on the same LAN then you cant since 192.168.x.x are non-routable IPs used for internal use only. If these computers are all on the same lan i recommend you get a switch or some sort.

Cybermac,

If these machines are on different subnets, you will need a router between them. Windows 2000 Server can be set up to act as a router for you.

Patty [ponytails2]

Thanks for your reply FaiTHLeSS & GrnEyedLdy, they have same subnets, my computer have two Lan cards, LAN CARD
A(192.200.X.Y) and Lan Card B(192.168.X.Y.). Lan Card A connected to IP Address (192.200.X.Y.) and Lan Card B connected to IP address (192.168.X.Y) and its work when I used 2 Lan Cards.

Is there any possible way or setup that can I connect between two different IP Address (192.200.X.Y)& (192.168.X.Y) with only 1 Lan Card? What should I do?

You would need to setup some sort of routing between the subnets to let them be able to talk to each other. You can bind 2ips to 1 nic. You would need to run some sort of routing server which has both IPs something like RRAS on windows server or you could use something under linux.

What windows version do I need Windows 2000 server like GrnEyedLdy mentioned earlier? so it is possible 2 ips can setup in 1 NIC? What should I do?

Any version of Windows 2000 server has RRAS(Routing and Remote Access) in it. and Yes it is possible to bind more than 1 IP to the same network card.

On another note i think that RRAS requires that you have 2 network cards for the setup not sure would need to check up on it.

Thanks Faithless, your info helps me a lot...

With Windows XP you could Bridge the two NICs. That should allow the machines to share files.

Start>My Network Places>View Network Connections>RIGHT click on a Local Area Connection>Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back