Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how difficult is it to replace printhead on tek 840? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knudde

MIS
Sep 26, 2003
BE
I've got 4 tek840 lying around here, all broken
1 still functions but does not want to clean his heads, despite several runs.

the other 2 are experiencing errors 31,001.40 and 31,004,40- but can't seem to clear that error as i don't know where to look

the 4th is a completely broken one of which i could take the printhead and put it in the first one.
How difficult is it to replace the head and is there a procedure to do it?

all helping response appreciated.

Knudde

Changing the printhead is not one of the most easy fixing-procedures. Remove right and left cover. Remove the cover on top of the place where the ink goes is (4 screws). Back-cover will now also be available of taking-off. Take out the ink-loader (no screws, 2 cables, 1 small, 1 large that goes under the pump into the power supply). At this moment you will be able to see the printhead yet. You will see a metal plate covering half the printhead (on top), remove this one. Then you will see the printhead in his full glory (sic). On the right and left side on the printhead, you'll see 2 screws in the middle (in a metal contruction), loosen them, remove the cables of the printhead and pull the printhead out, this might be a bit hard, so pull very hard. Attention: Be sure the printer has cooled down, else you will burn your finger doing this.

One remark wehn installing a new printhead on a Phaser840: The gap between the newly installed printhead and the drum might not be correct and can give a blur image. For this, you should "reposition" the printhead using the other four screws on the printhead.

Hope you haven't passed out yet reading this,

Greetz,

Thanks a lot for the tips Jos.

I got a printerhead out and stuck into the faulty one. Reset printer and the machine worked straight away. Awesome.

One fixed, 3 to go.

any advice perhaps on the 31 errors? Looking for the preheater area, is that the area just under the LCD panel?

Ok, nice goin' knudde

These 31 errors can be caused by the presence of maybe some bits of paper who block one of the sensors in the preheater area. Ok, to reach the preheater:

Remove the 2 side covers + the front-cover (leave the display where it is, you will not need to remove this one) Remove the maintenance kit. Watch the printer from the front. Remove the metallic plate (2 screws). under this metaalic plate is the "upper feed assembly". Remove this one is not very easy: one screw on the right front side. Remove the clutch on the left side. Now, the bar that is holding the black rolls, on the left side, is kept in place by a little metallic piece. Remove this one, now you will be able to move the upper feed assy leftwards and then you can pull it out. After removing the upper feed assy, you will see the preheater. Remove two screws (one left, one right) and a power-cable on the right side. Watch out when you do this, when removing the cable and the screws, the preheater will easily fall out of its rails.

Hope you manage to do this, if still any question, just reply,

Greetz,

J0S

done that on 2 printers.
1 had the 31,004 error, the other 31,001
both had a dirty preheather.
the 31.004 had a piece of paper stuck in it- a user must have ripped it out when the printer had a paperjam and now , after reassemblin, the printer error is gone.

The other one, 31,001 had some ink stripes stuck in the preheather, the same stripes that are printed during a cleaning phase. Cleansed that and reassembled. Error is still there. I don't see the lamp warming up

Took preheater from another printer and attached it to the powercord. Reset printer and waited for heater lamp to turn on, still nothing. Could the error mean that there's a pb with the power going to the heater?

Yes, this is indeed possible. Try to replace the power supply. Remove back cover, 4 screws, remove the 2 cables on the left side (when standing behind the printer) and pull the power supply out.

the red circle is the hole where the upper feed assy is put through. The blue paperguides need to be removed/lowered to get the paperguide out though.

is the rightside

is the preheater as seen from the back, you can see the heating lamps

Replaced powersupply, still no go. Error still appears on lcd panel. The drum etc. don't start turning either.

any other causes?

tnxs
Knudde

31,000 are Motor Faults. I have been working on Phaser Printers and never encountered this fault. Check and make sure nothing is binding and you can rotate the drum freely. 31,001 lists as an MP_FAULT_AUX_MOTOR_ERROR. 31,004 isn't listed in my book.

I believe the 840 I recieved as junked may have a bad printhead. I just fixed the y-axis assembly it now can move on to this. I am afraid I don't know if the printhead is the problem. My question is: is the printhead the part that the wax actually buts up to and is melted by? It appears to me that the ink is not being melted. Also, I thought the actual touching piont would be extremely hot, yet I can fiscally touch it with my finger and barely feels warm. Am I on the right track. I have traced down a printhead for $475.00 is that reasonable if it is the part I need to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back