Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How difficult is it to connect to web

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenix

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
US
Is it possible to access and view and use (hyperlinks) a website without an online service company or ISP account? Is this what you use FTP for? Or is that just to download files without necessarily viewing a website.?

If it's possible, can someone list the steps, The comp that I want to experiment with has 95 2 on it, (but I also have 98 and ME if this makes it any easier), and a phoneline modem. I imagine that you need a website's IP address, so is there any website or 'online IP address book' that lists website IP addresses ? Thx in advance. (Network newbie)

If it's not possible, please explain why, thx.

AAAHHHHHH NO!!!!! Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Here it is quick and dirty:

websites are hosted on computers
computers are grouped in networks
networks are connected by routers
routers are owned by ISPs
users dial-in to ISPs for access

Okay Fenix, here goes a better explanation.

There's only one way to achieve what you asked for. That is, if you become an ISP yourself. And even so, you still have to go through some private phone companys and possible gorvernment own infrastructure.

Yes, FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is only for files.

If this is not what you meant and we all have been giving wrong answers, please restate your question.

Thanks for all the answers and info, it was exactly what I had been asking. Below is another response from another source. I'm not sure what he means by a 'relatively small price' This is a little conflicting with mildmanrd's explanation-I assume router's cost 10x what PC do. And if you had to rent the use of one, the cost must be pretty high. (???) ----------------------------------------------------------
You don't have to use an outside ISP if ya don't wanna. You can set up your own webserver, right there in your own humble abode. You can cable, configure and maintain your own little web server. When you're finished, what you'll have is your own little ISP. If you set it up right, your friends can dial into it and you can become THEIR ISP.

So the answer is, indeed, no, you can't get out on the web without an ISP. However, you can (for a relatively small price) become your own ISP. Ain't technology grand?

Any computer (type of OS doesn't matter )in the internet, that can function as the begginnng and end point of data tranfers is called a host. A host has a unique IP address, and a unique domain name. Without the IP address, a router can not forward packets to you. Period. These days, the only place you can get a publishable IP address, or a randamized IP address from a DHCP server, is from an ISP...
so, no, your not gonna connect unless you have an IP, therefor the need for the ISP.

And, yes, to become your ISP, you also need an IP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back