Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How did I get TYPE 44 Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

feb

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
GB
I have formatted and re-partitioned with Pq magic two hard drives which were originaly done with Fdsik. I then loaded Win 98 SE and software. The system still boots to windows and software works fine but I made a boot disk and went to check it and got a message saying windows cant find a valid partition. Ran Pq magic and it said partition was type 44 and showed no other information. I have sorted the problem with Norton Emergency Disks and now Pq magic recognises everything again and the boot disk works.

1:- what is a type 44 partition
2:- what is likley to have caused the problem in the first
place

Hmmm... I dont know off hand what a type 44 is, but with Windows you should expect to be on a type 0b partition. The only thing that I think could have caused this (I had a partitioning nightmare a few months ago) would be the fact that you used two different partition programs. Norton must have fixed the mislabel

the type 44 partition is caused by a program called go back!
I tried to image a drive of this type but it caused problems when transfered to a larger hard disk.No more extra space was available after the transfer even though I had partitioned and formated it properly.the solution was to uninstall go back,this restored the partitiontype to normal and allowed the tranfer to work properly. hope this helps,
Oddz

Thanks Oddz

I did use GoBack when I set the drives up
all is now clear

For me, too, Go Back created 'mysterious' partitions (not named, in my case) that Win98 Start Up disk and some other things did not like a bit - took me a while to figure what it was, too. Mikl
bigpygme@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back