Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how debug servlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

passertm

Programmer
Aug 2, 2005
AZ
how i can debug servlet

but when tomcat wirking you dont see System.out.println() results

Look up Java Platform Debugger Architecture (JPDA) on Sun's website. It was added in v1.3.

The JPDA stuff gets better with every new release of the JVM. To debug servlets, I set up the servlet container (Tomcat usually, though I've done it with iPlanet and WebSphere) to broadcast debug data on a port and hook up my IDE (both Eclipse and Netbeans will do it) to that port. Within your IDE you can them set breakpoints, step through code, change variable values, etc.

Site: Location: SF Bay Area

I regolary use NetBeans 4.1 to debug JSP, i think u can test servlet too since JSP are converted to Servlet...

Well, I used IBW Websphere Test Environment's servlets engine, but I guess it will depend on which tool you use to develop it.

Cheers,
Dian

I found Eclipse + Tomcat Plugin very handy in debuging. You can step through every single step very easily. Use Eclpise as your IDE for your web application, with Tomcat plugin, just start up Tomcat at Eclipse, you can then set break point at runtime, and step through the code via Eclipse.

a Year Ago or so i try Several way to develop JSP under Eclipse... i don't find a friendly way to do it..
I try Lomboz but was a pain!!!
What are U using? a new version of Lomboz? MyEclipse???
Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back