Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How control print lenght between character in string

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikumi

Technical User
Apr 10, 2007
HR
I have to solve print strings of characters in specific formular with precizly spaces betwen two characters.

Space betwen two charasters is for example 1,9 mm and I must have exactly this space between char but when I put normal space " " is more than 2 mm. Number of character for one row is diferent for example from 5-50, depending of questions formular.

It's look like this a b c d<---> e<--->f
1,9 mm 1,9 mm ....

I have clipper 5.01

I wold be very thankful if somebody can write me how control leng of space betwen characters in line

Few questions:
- What kind of printer are you using?
- Do you have a manual of that printer that lists the printer controlcodes?
- This sounds like you need a graphic(-like) output, are you using some kind of library for printing like Abee labs PageScript?

HTH
TonHu

Hi TonHu
result must go on matrix printer for example EPSON LQ 1070+ OR EPSON LQ 300 or similary.....
At a moment I have no manual (mybi this can help ? )( Use ControlCodes for diferent print fonts ?? )
No I have no library for printing. Should I have and use it ? Where is possible get it ???
Aplication work under dos precizly under NOVEL.....

Exactly printer on which I must pint is Epson LQ 2080

No, no library is needed, but under other circumstances it could make life easier.
You should get (find on the internet, or get/buy/loan from the printer supplier) a manual with printercodes for this printer, and experiment with them, untill you get the required result. Big downfall on this solution will be that it is tied to this hardware (printer) and only compatible replacement can be used if it might fail or get worn out.

I would rethink the entire design, as dot-matrix printers are slowly disappearing, and laser and inkjet have taken over the (low-cost) market. These newer kind of printers can be easily printed on in high-res graphic quality, without (most) of the speed-loss you get when printing graphics on the dot-matrix printer.
In this case, a library would certainly help with an easy migration.

HTH
TonHu

Thank You very much on idea TonHu. I think that this first can help. I will try.

They will not change this printer this time becaouse then they must change all software and other all formulars.

Vikumi

Something that may help is to look look at shareware program called DOSPRN. Just do a google search on DOSPRN and give it a try. It intercepts the basic output to LPT1 and retranslates it into a windows format. I need it for talking to a few economical inkjet printers that do not accept ASCII input. The advantage of DOSPRN is that you can choose your font size and type with the click of a button. Now I have not used it with a dot matrix printer. My experience has been that windows prints to dot matrix as a bitmap picture and is VERY SLOW. So you are forwarned. You may want to give it a try.

Jim Rumbaugh

Thank You too opticalman....it s good to know that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back