Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How come CPU speed is wrong when I turn on computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deskey

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
I have an AMD Athlon XP 1800, with a 1.53 GHZ processor speed. When I turn on my computer, it shows 1050 MHZ for my processor speed. Why does it shows 1050 MHZ rather than 1.53 GHZ it's supposed to an how can I make the change on my computer (BIOS) to recogzine the true output of the AMD Athlon XP 1800?

I have done that several times through the BIOS under processor speed, but the next time I reboot or turn on my computer, it shows 1050 MHZ.

What motherboard model?
If its there, set the FSB jumper on the motherboard to 133mhz. ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

Hmmmmm! maybe worth changing your cmos battery, usually lithium button CR2032.
There could well be a 100/133 fsb jumper somewhere on your board, set to 133.
When you reset the bios to 133 are you saving on exitting?
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Yes, I am saving on exit. I'm going to try it one more time tonight. I'll check out the jumper settings too and everything else. If all else fails, you know i'll be back in here!

you still havn't mentioned what bios and how old is it.
i had the exact same problem when i first installed my new motherboard and xp 1800 and as stated earlier the fsb was not set right.
the reason it was not right is because when the screen comes up to set fsb it does not show all possible choices.
in my haste to get set up i failed to notice the slider in
my award 6.0 bios fsb setting menu.
later when i went back i saw it and so set it correctly and all was right with the world.
i know this is like..duh...but there are a lot of choices in the bios and i made the wrong one thru a simple hastey
oversight.
anyway it is just my experience with the problem and it might help someone else if not you. good luck!

It doesn't even let me get into the BIOS and make changes anymore. It shows the screen for like half a second and goes right into Windows. I'm not even sure on what key combo to hit to enter the BIOS and make changes. Some are CONTROL DELETE, some are SPACEBAR, others are F8. Their's got to be a way I can change the processor speed. Also, do any of you know of any sites where I can get a processor analyzer? If so, I don't care if my processor shows 300 MHZ at bootup, as long as it's clocking at 1.53 GHZ.

Hi,
presuming you have either a floppy drive or a cd-rom drive set to boot before the hard drive, put a disk in to "which ever" - that will slow the boot process to let you read what key you are supposed to be hitting to get into the bios.

BTW, people have asked what the motherboard is. If you tell us we can have a look at the manual and point you in the right direction.

On some motherboards you have a jumper setting that must be enabled to take advantage of bios settings - otherwise it reads the motherboard jumpers to get the speed info etc. - if the motherboard jumper is set wrong in that instance it will not matter what you do in the BIOS.

Please help us to help you.

Regards. It not what you say but how you say it that counts...apparently.

Silly me, you're right, I haven't told anyone what kind of motherboard I have. I vaguely remember what kind it is and I cannot find the manual for the motherboard (I think it's in storage now because I just relocated from Europe). I know it's a KT7, i'm just not sure if it's a KT75A or an KT7EM, it's one of those though. On my computer, is there a way I can check what kind of mother board I have? I'll see if I can find some kind of paperwork or vendor info from when I purchased the motherboard. But i'm almost certain it's a KT75A because the KT7EM only supports expansion of AMD's up to 1.4 GHZ and I have the AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1.53 GHZ).

Sounds like an Abit board goto

that will help you identify the board, then if it is an ABIT goto the download page and download the manual and then check for BIOS updates. The manual will give you the Jumper settings (but most abit boards are usually jumper free when it comes to CPU settings (Except fsb etc))

If the bios needs updating then do so and the board should then recognise your XP chip.

You could also try a program that will identify you mainboard in windows such as Sandra.

If your bios goes by really quickly, all you have to do is hit (usually DEL) repeatedly as soon as the power is on and that should let you in.

Like the others have said, if the settings are not being saved, then you probably have an issue with your battery.

Also, confirm that that CPU is supported by that motherboard. That's a lot of thats ;) ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

OK guys, I have the same issue, and i have a K7T turbro 2. The bios only lets me go as high as 132 FSB... And when I go to that setting the system will not boot ( bios reset needed ). My CPU is an 1800+ AMD, and I thought it was working properly when I installed it, but it is clearly not now, and I have been messing with the BIOS over the past few weeks.... But even on a reset of the bios still sets it to 100FSB, and all the other setting are at default and thus not sure what they should be.. I did try forcing my ratio to 11.5 which MSI says it should be at, but as I probably guessed it made no dif... Still says 1149.5 Mhz.
The initial guy with the problem was looking for a tool to see the speed. is very good for that.

So any ideas guys!?

If your mobo allows you to, set the ratio and FSB manually with a jumper on the board. Sometimes the auto settings can be whacked.
If you can understand it, you probably don't.

Found it! JP17, sets the FSB to go over 133. It is now detected as 1800+. Now if I can just get my ATI 8700LE to stop crashing during most games, I'll be set...

You mean 8500LE?
ATI is really bad when it comes to stable drivers.
Usually its a matter of loading them in the correct order or having components that like each other.
Make sure you have the latest chipset and video drivers loaded. If you can understand it, you probably don't.

They just came out with another set of new drivers ( Feb 10/2003 ) Says if fixes some hanging, and they brang 25-25% improvments on performance. ATI is slow but reliable when it comes to "finally" getting to a good set of drivers..

That said, the new drivers have yet to crash, and did pass a burn in test.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can soon have a stable system..

Yes I did mean to say 8500LE, which aside from the crashing seems to be a great card..

Drivers for the Radeon 8500 have gotten a bad rap since the day the card was released. However, the same does not hold true for the newer line if ATI cards (9000, 9700, etc). As a matter of fact, they're extremely stable when compared to their predecessor, the 8500.

Don't get me wrong, however! Every driver will have problems in some kind of environment. The question is how often and how many it affects. The 8500 suffered in this respect...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back