Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How clone, add new hard drive to Compaq Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcumming

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2005
US
I have used Acronis True Image (Home version) for a good number of years. Great product for home use. I know nothing about servers.

I recently was asked to help a friend out who has a server
HP Proliant ML310. A few years old. No documentation or Invoice listing what is in it. Not sure if it is basic model or G2,3,4,5. Have service tag# but do not think HP has service tag lookup like Dell does.

Running Windows Sever 2003. It has 2 drives in it. First is an 80gb drive with 2 partitions. Second drive is a 1tb drive that is connected to an external Raid device via SATA cables.

We Want to replace primary drive with a larger drive due to their running out of space on the stock 80gb drive.

I doubt it is a hot swappable drive-we have to take a look) therefore perhaps we can replace with an off the shelf (Newegg, BestBuy, etc..) SATA 250gb drive,
****Can we do this if it is not hot swappable drive??.

****I may have to hire someone, but in general what is the best way to backup the 80gb drive (with 2 partitions) and restore them to a 250gb drive so that I can replace the current drive and boot from the new one and have the server come up okay??

I assume I need Acronis True Image Echo for Windows Server ($699. I also assume I cannot take out and clone the disk via USB in a Windows XP machine using True Image home).
2***Can I connect a 250gb off the shelf SATA drive that I put in an external USB case to the server and back up the 2 partitions on the first internal drive to the new drive (connected via USB just for cloning) to perhaps a 3rd partition I create
Then I would restore from the 3rd partition to 2 partitions (2 restores)

Am trying to pick the easiest way to backup and restore to a different drive without adding another drive internally to the system.

I know nothing about server partitions and if they are EISA are just NTFS, etc... Not sure about servers. My friend knows about managing servers but not the hardware part.

Thanks
PC

Peter,
Do you have more than 80 GB of free space on the 1TB internal drive (space for the image)?

DO have more than 80gb on 1tb drive. That is why I wanted to disable the mirroring in the easiest way.

To answer Burtsbess question-1tb each in the external raid array. You do not have to have Acronis running on a separate system from my experience to reimage the new drive.

Have a very nice day.

Thanks
Peter

With >80 GB on the 1TB drive, you don't need to break the mirror. I must have read the original post too quickly. I was thinking that both internal drives were full. As long as there is room for the image on the 1TB drive I'd leave it as it is...mirrored.

Thanks I guess then when done creating the backup of the 80gb drive (Drive 0) with the .tib images on the 1tb drive (drive 1), I can then delete the tib files (on Drive 1) after successful restore and reboot with a new empty larger drive 0 installed.
Appreciate the assistance from all.

Probably will have some future questions on possible use of Double Take if another server is purchased, as well as changing where shares and mirrors are set up as soon as I found out more.

Thanks so much
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back