Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can you tell the difference between SC or ST (fiber cables) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman10

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
All-

I just installed a Cisco 2950C switch and realized that I already have the wrong fiber cables at hand.. I need an MT-RJ end for in order to plug into the 2950ver work 100 fiber ports BUT my biggest concern is not knowing whether I need SC or ST for the patch panel.. How can I tell which one I need.. the fiber patch panel has circular ports like always..

As an aside, my original (incorrect) cable had the right end that plugged into the fiber panel but of course the other end was either an SC or ST in which would never work when plugging into the Catalyst.. this needed the MT RJ.. Anyway, is there a diagram someone could point me to that could clear this up for me??

Thanks to all!

gman[morning]

SC - Stick and Click (Square connector, just push the connector in until it clicks)

ST - Stick and Twist (Round connector, line up the tab and twist to secure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back