Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can you run 4 monitors on 1 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinman

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
client has nvidia ti4200 installed running 2 monitors 1 is
default other is extended on windows 2000 running 512mb ram with a p4 2.4 gigahertz chip. can the desktop be expanded to a total of 4 displays? If so what single pci card or two pci cards be added to comply? Again I need four seperate applications running on four different monitors at the sametime.

Thank you in ADVANCE!!! Jeff

It is possible use 4 monitors, a bit depending on the type videocard and os. Generally it is reccomended to use the same type video chip. So, if you're currently running a videocard based on Nvidia (most likely an AGP card) you should purchase the same type card (PCI).

Nvidia's newest drivers (for W2K and XP) have very good support for multiple monitors.

I once tried to use AGP and PCI VGA adapters, both equipped with SiS 6326 chips. The driver software was probably not pure, i.e. not reentrant, and the result was chaos. One set of driver software was trying to drive two video adapters which it was probably not designed to do.

I concluded that different types of video adapters would not have been afflicted with this problem.

[lipstick]

Check the Matrox site for some options.

I seem to remember seeing 4 monitor support a while back when I was browsing there, but wasn't able to locate it just now.

If you have 3 spare PCI slots you can use 1 agp and 3 PCI cards in WIN98 but you might have problems in WIN2000 because of interrupt clashes. I have this in my current computer using an MSI motherboard and cheap S3 and SIS cards.
You have to install them and their drivers 1 at a time and maybe set the first screen to PCI in the BIOS.
You can buy 1 AGP card with 4 outputs. (probably cheaper but there is a limit to the screen resolution of some)
You cant use an on board video and an AGP card at the same time.

I would definately say get a Matrox card, they have many models with multiple monitors, and with them you will definately get the most compatible hardware, easiest installation, and a whole load of added software features that can be used to take full advantage of multiple monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back