Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can you make a file truly hidden ? (like internet explorer cache)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Does any1 know how to make a file/folder totally hidden (even if you set explorer to show all files its still hidden)?
In "c:\windows\temporary internet files" these files exist, and in the bottom of the explorer window it does not say "x files hidden" (i found these files using dos)

I have windows 98 se

If I go to Windows Explorer and open ContentIE5 I can see all the files there.
If I go to the Sysbckup Folder, it's there.
I use win98SE and I have Show All Files Checked in Advanced.

I am sorry but your ideas don't work.

Deleting, not viewing is the problem with these. Dropping to Dos and using the deltree command is how it has been done for a long time. No Mystery at all. Deltree the entire History Folder or Temp Int or whatever.

I read these arguments and see that the person who originally asked the question is more than likely getting some incorrect advice. Therefore I decided to come back and say:

Ciaran,
Use a utility or keep your files somewhere other than the hard drive. Unfortuntely, that is how Windows 98 works.

I have heard that some people's computers let them see the content.ie5 dir, but for others you can not. However i can see the sysbckup dir.
But it seems like this thread has gone on long enough without any real solution so i have decided to just lock folder options using regedit and setting explorer so it doesnt show hidden/system files.
There must be a way to do what i wanted to do. To find out how would probably take me ages, and not many hackers/crackers would be bothered to look into it because there are other methods of hiding files.
Thanks for the help everyone anyway.

Hi Ciaran

I have seen all your conversation with different peoples.

Why dont you try third party program like Paranoid. I have used it and it gave me 100% result. You can protect the folder / files from anyone by encrypting/hiding the folders.

Hope this will suffice your need.

Regards,

Nadeem

Redhand Pro has released version 7 and can be downloaded directly for a trial period that includes keylogging and tons of neat stuff including folder stealthing. Actually, this program can steath itself entirely if need be. If you choose it and decide to keep it you will need to provide certain info before they give you a keylogging serial number authorizing its use beyond the approbation period. Happy stealthing.

Mosaic, just a note

In his 4th question, he stated he wanted to prevent files being viewed or modified in the c:\windows\system directory. You can keep your system directory somewhere else, right?

yes, I think a utility would be the best solution, but there are many answers depending on the experience of the TechnicalUser

There's a relatively cheap shareware program called FileProt
and another for the registry named RegProt:

Then there are expensive security programs such as:
HyperTechnologies

Fortres

Bardon Data Systems

Here are some other links:

reghakr

Reghakr,
I don't know about moving the system Folder. Is there a setting in the registry which can do that? Or would you have to do it someplace else? Interesting idea. I don't know because the thought never crossed my mind. You would have to point or redirect?

I guess I'm lucky to be the only user here.

It would be a nightmare to try and control a Win98 system in my opinion.
I can't imagine trying to deny access without a utility.

Mosaic,

No, that's what I'm saying, it would be a big mistake to try to hide or move the Windows or windows\system directories. Before the days of large hard drives, I made the mistake of running applications from my zip drive. Soon found out that paths were constantly changed in the registry and running a registry cleaner would further mess it up, sometimes making programs unuseable.

Your comment:
===================================================
Unfortuntely, that is how Windows 98 works.
===================================================

says it all very clearly.

This question, along with others recently, have been blown out of propoprtion by so many different methods and the fact that the original asker keeps asking more questions as we go along. This adds unneccessary confusion also.

I believe we all should take some time and clearly think over the objective before asking the original question.

Just a thought.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back