Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can you compare two versions of an Access Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherGraham

Programmer
Jan 12, 2003
US
I would like to compare different versions of the same database, to see the outstanding differences. Thus I would like to see whether the lists of tables, forms, queries etc are different. Similarly I would like to be able to compare the code under buttons. To see what differences were present.
The purpose is to keep a better handle on the different versions of a database and to see how to backtrack if necessary.
Thanks for your help.

This is kind of the long way around the barn, but it can be done.

In each of the databases you want to analyze, go to tools, analyze, documenter. Click "all object types" and then click on "select all".

Click also under options to make sure you have selected all the choices you need to to make a complete report. Click okay.

Click okay again to run the documenter. You will get an Access report giving you all of the info. In that report, click on file/export and a dialog box will pop up. In the save as type, choose rich text format.

When you have both reports saved that way, open them up in Word, save them both as Word documents, then close them both.

Open one of them up again (remember that it is now in Word format) and do a compare documents. You will see all the differences.

Please let me know if this helps, okay?!

"In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson

Dear Judgehopkins, Thanks indeed for that helpful response. I shall go away and follow your advice.
Best Wishes
Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back