Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can we secure our reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

adcounsel1

Programmer
Jan 27, 2005
PK
Dear All

How can we secure our reports in cr10 so that clients cant modify them. Mean we provide them compiled version or can bind/inbuilt within the software application like as we do in vfp6. VFP6 incorporate the frt in the application file.

Please guide

Thanks

Support for compiled reports was taken away after Crystal 8.5.

You could embed the rpt files within your own viewer application or place the rpt files in a read only folder but that doesn't stop users from exporting the report to a new rpt file in another folder.

An alternative is to consider a 3rd-party solution. See list of viewers at: At least one of the viewers listed there allows you to encrypt your rpt files. My DataLink Viewer allows you to turn your rpt files into rpz files. You keep the rpt files and give your users the rpz files, which behave just like rpt files except they can't be exported to rpt or to a report definition format.

Cheers,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Thanks Ido

If i install cr8, then should i convert the rpt in exe or there is some better way... pls guide

Thanks

One dodge is to put a large empty text-object over everything. Unless the client is knowledgeable enough to 'send it to the back' or move it, this stops them changing anything.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Compiled reports tends to be a bit clunky. More importantly, locking yourself to a solution that requires you to go back several versions and stay there doesn't make much sense to me.

On the other hand, using a 3rd-party solution requires some testing and a relationship with one more vendor. Bottom line -- there is some pain involved in either approach

hth,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Thanks all

I have a experience that one of my client normally change the heading of rpt as per his requirement but again it is not approved by the office, so I always try to secure company in every aspect.

It seems that a lot of work should be done to do so,

Thanking you.

One last note - using the 'compile' feature of Crystal 8.x does NOT secure the RPT from tampering. The RPT itself is not compiled into the EXE. The EXE is just a pointer. You still have to provide the user with the raw RPT file.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides for Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, VB, .NET, Tips and Tricks

One more last note. Even if you compile the RPT into a VB application, exporting the report to RPT format (if allowed) will reconstitute it. The RPZ option mentioned above is one of the few reliable ways I know of to protet the contents of an RPT from tampering.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides for Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, VB, .NET, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back