Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can we save object styles separately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole0000

Technical User
Oct 18, 2007
US
I am working with ID CS3.

I can create object style (say shadow on pic) and name it and apply it to objects in that document. My question is that I would like to apply the same object style in another document.

But when I open the document, it is not there. I can do Object load and "import" it in from the other document.

I thought that maybe there was a way to save the object styles that could be applied to other documents (as what if I forget what object style I in what document.

any thoughts would help.

Nicole

If you want anything, anything at all to be in another document, colours, styles, pencil widths, line fidelities etc. anything, if you want something to appear in another document you either have to

A) Make your changes in InDesign without any documents open whatsoever, and these will be your default from now on, meaning that from that point on that any time you make a new document these will be your default settings.

If you're doing this, do not over write the Basic Paragraph settings, or Basic Object Styles. It may cause problems changing machines and the file will use the Basic style that's used on the 2nd machine rather than what you have changed it to.

Also, if you have a document open and it has some styles in it that you would like in another document. Copy the object out and paste it into your new document. Any styles that you have made will travel with the copy and paste, any styles that are the same name in the new document will use the style that's there rather than the one you've changed... how would it know what you're doing, you're just telling the computer to use Basic Text Frame, and it does, the one that's there, not the one you've altered, it sorta makes sense.

The only way to save the object style so that you have it for all documents is to make the changes before you open a document, and that way that will be the default for all future documents that you make. But any other documents that are saved previous to this, won't have this style in them. Styles are inherited from the user so any styles you have made within a document are just for that document alone and no other document, unless you load or copy and paste them to a document that you want them for.

Thank you Eugenetyson.

Your answer was very through and completely on the point. Good job.

I understand it much better.

Have a great day.

Nicole :)

Also in the Object Styles palette, you will see in the drop-down, "Load Object Styles...", then just navigate to the document with the styles you want. Voila!

Also Paragraph Styles, Character styles, Swatches, ....if you have a lot of stuff to import it beats Copy-Pasting.

Bon Soir

Yes, but the question was, how to do it without loading them. You can also do this trick with master pages, and you can synchronise your master pages across a book. Along with many other things that the book option provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back