Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can u remotely change files and such from ip address? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arse

Programmer
May 15, 1999
US
I wanna make a program that can remotely change things on a different computer from an ip address.(Sorta like netbus) How would I do this and how hard would it be. Also if there are any helpful urls that explain how to do this, please give them.

Interesting idea. Would you be able to install a "software agent" on the remote computer or do you need to be able to modify files without errmm... permission?<br>
<br>
-ml<br>

LOL. this would be for my network. I hate having to walk to the other buildings to do stuff. I have had people on other forums say I should use Winsock. Is this an ocx? If it is, do you have a link or something as well as some type of tutorial on it?

&lt;grin&gt; Just thought I'd ask...<br>
<br>
There is a winsock ocx and it would be possible to write a "listener" process that sat on a client PC and waited for you to connect to it. The listener would then do whatever you told it to.<br>
<br>
"Possible" is the operative word here - might even be fun to write but would certainly be a lot of work. Given that someone else has already gone through the pain with NetBus why don't yo just buy that - or something like it?<br>
<br>
-ml<br>

I can't find this winsock ocx anywhere. It isnt on my computer. The reason I don't just download netbus (it's free) is because I like to make stuff myself. Do you know where the winsock ocx file is at?

mine is in c:\winnt35\system32\mswinsck.ocx - or it might still be on your CD or Disks.<br>
<br>
There are some fairly good examples in the VB documentation to give you a start. Basically - you need to write something that will handle requests to run commands etc - and then return the results of that to yourself. This is quite a way from trivial - it's a good job you like to write stuff yourself.<br>
<br>
To produce something that would run the command "dir" and return you the output of that command would probably not be too bad and would give you a starting point. After that you could move onto something that let you run a variety of commands on the remote computer and did the proper security checking as well.<br>
<br>
email me if you'd like some more details<br>
<br>
-ml<br>

Hi<br>
I did something similar but no longer have the program because it was for a one time action and I've since changed PCs without keeping a lot of my old files.<br>
<br>
I used an example that I found at either the CodeArchive or VB online. It was a simple program that ran on the distant PC and my PC. I modified the distant PC to answer on logical port "whatever above 2048" and to echo some text that I sent to the PC's text box. Once I had that concept working, it was very easy to modify the distant PC's program to parse my incoming text and to execute commands based upon explicit strings. So I set that PC up to Ping to other destinations and to report the results back to my PC to a log file. I'll look around and see if I've still got the old code somewhere on one of these backup disks but I don't think that I've still got it.

How 'bout Back Orifice? Sure, I know it's a "hackers' tool" but I've found it to be EXTREMELY useful for RAS on my own computers! With BO (Back Orifice) you actually have more control over your PC (has to be running Win95/98/NT) than if you're SITTING IN FRONT OF IT! And one of the best things is that you have the option of password protecting your BO "listener" so nobody else can mess up your PC.<br>
BO is downloadable FREE from: (just make sure you don't have anything like BOE (Back-Orifice Eliminator) installed as this would [OBVIOUSLY] mess things up a little)<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

Have some free software from the good people in England.
It accts as the same as PcAnywhere. SO it is as if you where sitting infront of the computer
you can find it on if you do a search for VNC and there it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back