Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seecke

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2003
US
I have a machine running XP Pro. On it was a shortcut to a network resource. Clicking the shortcut took me to my resource and I was able to navigate my directories BUT it was very slow in reacting to my selections. I then took the path from the shortcut and copied it to the entry box for the run command and my resources came to life... I was able to have two windows up... one from the shortcut and one from the run command. I could see a definate speed difference. How can this be? they are both using the same "path".

Thanks in advance to all for helping!

Steve

If the 'My Network Places' folder contains a shortcut to a network share, then each refresh of the explorer window will attempt to read icon information from every file in the remote location, causing the system to slow to a crawl.

Removing all shortcuts from 'My Network Places' will return the system response to normal."

Slow network browsing in Windows XP

I'll have to try that out sometime! Thanks for the note, linney. Now to find an XP machine I'm actually using... [ponder]

Was the first time that you connected to the network the shortcut way or the run way. Usually windows has an area for previously used programs or connections. When you start up windows, have you tried running the run way first.

Based on the network drives, are the network drives mapped manually, through a startup script, just using run- drive letter assignment, or run \\network drive name (unc connection).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back