Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can This Be??? I see you - you can't see me 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamdon

Programmer
Dec 19, 2001
US
Dear People,
Small network (4 PC's) 3 running W98 2nd E and one running WXP Pro.

All connected at a hub and hub connected to DSL Router/Modem

3 Machines (2 W98 and the WXP) can see all the computers on the network. The 4th machine cannot access the network! Yet it can get to the internet, get mail and the like. Just cannot see any of the other machines.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should start? All the machines are assigned an address as specified by our ISP. Deleted and re-installed the TCP/IP protocol, no joy.

How can this machine be seen by all, connect to the internet, and not see anything on the LAN?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don Wobig

ARe you sure the identification is set to the same WORKGROUP and it has a different Computer Name than the other three?

Do you have Net Beui protocol installed??? Not sure this will help. ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Is the machine running XP Pro using a FAT32 file system or is it using NTFS?

I believe the XP machine is NTSF but will have to double check that. However, it is one of the W98 machines that cannot see the network. The other 2 W98 machines see all the other computers - including the XP machine. And we are able to copy files to the XP machine from all the machines. So we are still stuck with the 1 W98 machine that can access the internet (via the network) but cannot see any of the other machines on the network, and yet is fully visible to the rest of the network.

Thanks

Don Wobig

Try switching the PC that is having a problem to another port on the hub. Can you see other PCs now?

As lgebhart instructed try adding the NetBUI protocol to the peer to peer Windows 98 PC that is having the issue. I am willing to bet this is your problem. With TCP/IP in a peer to peer, PCs can talk to each other however, there is no broadcast of netbios names to each other. Adding NetBUI allows this broadcast to take place so each PC can be browsed just by going to Network Neighborhood. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Thanks All,
Going to give this a try. Did swap cables at the hub and the problem didn't follow the cable. I will have to double check but I am pretty sure that I always install NetBUI protocol with the TCP/IP. And on the W98 machines the NetBIOS over TCP/IP is automatically selected. If it is there, I think I will remove it and reinstall it. (Just because) You must make the NetBIOS over TCP/IP selection on the XP machine yourself. It just has to be something simple that I am missing.
Thanks again for all the good suggestions and help.

Don Wobig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back