Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can the server recognized and accept the IP address 192.168.0.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsison

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2003
PH
How can my W2k Advanced Server accept and recognized the IP address 192.168.0.1 as part of the domain?

One of my PC in the network is still using Windows 98 with ICS and has the IP address 192.168.0.1? I configured the PC to connect to the W2k Advanced Server in the Properties of Client for Microsoft Networks of the Network under Control Panel. When I restart the computer, it displayed the error message: "No domain.....". In short it did not connect to the W2k server.

I need the W2k Advanced Server to accept the IP address of the Windows 98 PC.

Thanks in advance.

You would need router to connect two machines from 2 different IP address range / subnets.

Does it have 2 NICs?

Thanks gensan.

What do you mean by 2 nics? If you meant that the server has 2 nics, then my reply is no. And if you meant if the PC i am trying to connect to the server has 2 nics, my reply is also no.

The PC I am trying to connect is running Windows 98 with ICS. That is why it has an automatic IP address of 192.168.0.1.

What is the address of your advanced server?

The address of my advanced server is the default 10.10.10.1

Add a nic to the win98 machine and give it the address

...or give the server an Ip address in the 192.168.x.x range and let it not be 192.168.0.1.
The systems are both on different networks now. Shortly/roughly put: if the subnetmask in the case of the Win98 machine is 255.255.0.0 then the 255's show you what part of the IP address is the network address (in this case 192.168.x.x) and the 0's show you what part of the IP address is the computer address (in this case x.x.0.1). Same goes for the server (which might have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0). You see that the first parts of the IP addresses are differen numbers so the networks are not the same, which is neccessary for them to communicate directly.
The easiest way (if these two are the only ones on the network and it's no problem to change the IP of the server) is to give the server an IP address like 192.168.0.2 or so.

Hope this makes sense to you.
Good luck!

Thanks Palagast.

I have to point out that the main server is the w2k advanced server. it has the default ip of 10.10.1.1 (my mistake earlier i wrote 10.10.10.1). i need the pc with the ics to connect to the w2k server. if i configure the pc to obtain the ip address automatically, it can connect to the server but the ics of that pc is not working.

Anyway, i'll try your advice tomorrow.

thanks vbrocks.

i'll try your advice. won't there be any conflict with the two nics?

Please correct me if i'm wrong. this is based on your advice. the first nic will be the ics nic and the second nic will be the one to connect to the w2k advanced server. what will be the subnet and the gateway of the second nic?

then, i'll be needing another utp cable.

If i'm not mistaken you have a client with a modem attached to it and a server connected to the client with a normal TCP/IP connection. If this is the case, adding a NIC won't help you, because there's nothing for that NIC to connect to. It should be fixable with the hardware you have. If assigning the IP addresses like I suggested doesn't help, you can try using a 3rd party ICS program like Sygate or Wingate (search on google) and see if that helps.

The second nic should have the same subnet mask as the w2k server..

Palagast's suggestion would be cheaper, since you don't need to buy a second nic. That was the reason why I asked if you have 2 nics (my first reply to you). Just got tied up with work.

Anyway, for the two computers to communicate, it's a requirement that they both have the same ip range and subnet (see palagast's 1st reply).

If in case they're not in the same range, then that's the time you need a router for 2 (or more) computers to connect. Now, putting in a new NIC on the workstation, serves as a "router" in a sense that the 2 NICs would transfer data between themselves.

As Palagast suggested, you can go for an option where you will just buy (or download freewares) so that you can share internet. Given this option, you will need to change the IP add of your workstation to coincide with that of your server.

Decide what you want to do and then post any problems you may encounter.

Gensan

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was able to solve my problem. The 2-nics solution didn't work. I also tried to change the ip address of the nic but it didn't work also. The W2k advanced server by default has a nic of 10.10.1.1. I guess I had to edit the registry which I saw was harder than changing the ip address of the Windows 98 ICS PC.

I also tried adding the scope of 192.168.0.x to 192.168.0.254 in the DHCP scope of the W2k server. I was hoping this would recognize the 192.168.0.1 default ICS IP address and allow the PC to log into the network. However this didn't work also.

What I did was I turned off the DHCP of the Windows 98 ICS PC. This solve the error message : "Internet Connection Sharing has been disabled. Please make sure that Internet Connection Sharing has been installed in 1 PC in the network.".

Next I edited the registry of the Windows 98 ICS to reflect 10.0.0.4 and subnet mask of 255.0.0.0. After this, I edited the IP address of the NIC to 10.0.0.4. Then I run the IPConfig in Windows 98 to get the DNS IP address.

Lastly I configured the other pc's gateway to 10.0.0.4 and preferred dns address to the one I got in the IPConfig.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back