Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can print preview differ from the actual print out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljkeenan

Programmer
Jun 19, 2006
TR
Hi Lads,

Hope all's going well today. Ive had this real annoying problem for the last while and have been avoiding it. I have a database which can prepare a six monthly report for our consulate here. It works quite well and basically lists all applicants, fees payed and exchange rate. The list consists of 1050 individuals, and at the end there is a total.

For some reason though the total displayed in the preview differs from that printed, which i though would be impossible. Also when I used a computer elsewhere the preview again displayed the correct amount (or what i think is the correct amount) but on printing it doubled this. When I put in a running total, the preview again was the same but the total differed by about 200quid. Does anyone kow why this may be? Or am i in some kind of twilight zone here?

All the best lads

Cheers

Whatever zone you are in, you should tell us how you are creating totals. The normal method is to add a text box to a group or report header or footer with a control source like:
=Sum([your field or expression])

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

sorry, im a novice and have only recently realised that coding the sum inside the details section is quite different from using a control source, thanks for the advice all the same.

i cant use the control source method as there are some calculations for each page. for example certain fees are multiplied by an exchange rate. the exchange rate changes with each page of the report. the report is about 40 pages covering 6 months, thus 40 exchange rates.

i tried resetting the total to 0 on the report open event, but i still get the same result, 200E off the preview's sum.

I would expect that calculations change based on your data in the report rather than the "page". You might be breaking your data/records into pages based on stored values.

I still think you can create expressions in your report so that you never have to use code to create aggregates.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back