Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I view a users e-mail? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

timoteo

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
My boss suspects that one of our employees is using his e-mail inapporpriately. He wants me to find out for sure. The problem is I know very little about Exchange Server 2000. Is there a way I can view a users sent items? Or better yet, does Exchange keep a log of e-mail addresses a user mails to?

I am almost hoping the answer is no because the whole thing seems Orwellian.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Timoteo

What I would recommend is that you check the mailbox rights on your boss and see if anyone has been granted "send as" rights.

Also from ADUC have a look on the Exchange general tab (think it's there off the top of my head) and see if there are any delegates ie. does anyone have send on behalf of rights?

If you have any archiving you could of course look there too. If your have deleted items retention set too, you could also check the dumpster (via OWA) for mail that has been deleted in your boss's account. Incase someone sent something and deleted it to cover there tracks (very remote possibility, but who knows). May also be worth getting him to change his password in case someone is getting in via a possible weak password.

Mark

You can add another user's mailbox to your outlook set up. With Outlook closed, go to the Mail Control Panel, email accounts, View/change, change, more settings, advanced and there you can add another mailbox to your outlook and can view the user's folders.
Sorry you have to do it for that reason :(

alfiedude,

Your suggestion was right on, unfortunatley for the employee in question (Yes, he was bad). Thanks for the help with this unpleasent task.

Timoteo

Hi Timoteo - it's almost a shame you have this sorted. I'd have made your boss do his own dirty work by going to ADUC; finding the offenders name and selecting properties; select the Exchange Advanced tab; hit the Mailbox Rights button and add your bosses name to the list you find there. Give him read permissions and full mailbox access and tell him to do what alfiedude suggested. It might make him realise its not a pleasant task to perform even against 'bad boys'

heard

heard,

An even better idea because the employee in question had many personal e-mails in with the inapporpriate ones.

Thanks,

Timoteo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back