Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I use Win2K Server as a game server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akmour

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
GR
I have 20 pc's running windows 98 SE and a server running Win2K Server what I want to do is to install my games on the server and to be able to run them from the pc's that are connected to it.Has anyone done this before can anyone help out ????
Please email me at akmour@boltblue.com
Thank you very much for your time...

so you don't want to install the games on the client's? This way of working is supported for other applications for axample MS Office. I think you will have to spend a lot of time to make it possible for a game. You might want to consider using Terminal Services to do this, but if the application uses sound or is with high grafics it won't work very well either.

Maybe you can explain a little bit more about the game?

Kind Regards
David

This whole idea is for an internet cafe, Imagine having Colin Mcrae 2,Counter Strike,Diablo 2 and more games running on the server rather on the clients.This is the main reason for wanting to go along with this idea.If there is another program of some type that I can use it would surely help.
Thanks again

Many games have the server built in as Quake2,Diablo and Many otheirs I run a chat site / gameing site I run a few servers but use many otheirs on the net ID has a plugin that You can link to a server off a page The plugin is showen On My site in the Q2,Q3 room also the halflife room
but You can use it on most ID games. This way You do not have to run the server or use Your resouces up in multiplatfrom gaming server. You simple link to otheir servers You know that are good

I would have thought each one of these games could easily overwhelm a server unless they supported multiple processors and gigs of RAM...maybe they do but then how do you get the output to the "clients"...gigabit Ethernet?

Running em local would be more efficient I would have thought. The performance of modern games relies on fast hardware...accessing his hardware remotely simply moves the bottleneck to the network.

My two cents worth...

In theory this is a nice idea, but it won't work out in reality. Thin client is great for office apps, but 3d games put serious stress on processors and video cards. If you think you can replace an AGP bus with even gigabit networking you're nuts. And why would you want to? The costs would be much higher than simply putting together cheap athlon/nvidia boxes for clients. You would still want a local server to host internet games, but I would suggest a low cost linux or 2000Pro box rather than shelling out serious $$ for W2k server and client access licenses for each client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back