Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I use a PC on TTYA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jossmho

MIS
Feb 8, 2003
FR
Hi,

How can I do :
STOP-A, STOP-D, STOP-N, Power-on, Power-off with my PC Keyboard (this one connected to TTYA with Vandyke CRT)

Thanks from France

Here is a cut from a Sunsolve's article.

Document Notifications:
[Subscribe to this Document (alerted of changes)] | [Subscribe to the SRDB Collection (alerted of additions)] | [View/Edit Subscriptions]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document Audience: SPECTRUM
Document ID: 78755
Title: Solaris[TM] Operating System: How to use a computer running Microsoft Windows as a console?
Update Date: Thu Oct 21 00:00:00 MDT 2004
Products: Third-Party Products
Technical Areas: Serial Port, IO (Input/Output)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keyword(s):login, serial, port, Windows, hyperterm, terminal, term, rs232, ttya, console, ttymon, null modem, MS

Problem Statement: Top

I have a laptop running Microsoft Windows that I would like to use as a console for my SUN machine running Solaris[TM] Operating System. How do I configure the laptop as a Solaris console display?

Resolution: Top

All versions of Microsoft Windows come equipped with a terminal emulation application called Hyperterminal. This application can be used to login to a Sun machine over a standard RS232-C serial connection much like the tip(1) command that runs under the Solaris Operating System.

This procedure walks you through setting up:

Physical connection

Sun machine

Microsoft Windows computer (PC)

1. Physical Connection

The cable connection between the PC and the Sun machine is of type null modem. A null modem configuration crosses the transmit and receive signals between computers. The PC's Tx pin goes to the Sun's machine Rx pin, PC's Rx pin goes to the Sun's Tx pin.

Since the majority of laptop computers have a 9 pin serial port as the primary communications port and the majority of Sun's machine use a 25 pin serial port, a typical 9-to-25 pin null modem cable configuration is diagrammed below:

DB25F DB9F
----- ----
1 Shield ---------- 1 Shield
2 TD ---------- 2 RD
3 RD ---------- 3 TD
4 RTS ---------- 8 CTS
5 CTS ---------- 7 RTS
7 GND ---------- 5 GND
6 DSR --+
+------- 4 DTR
8 DCD --+
+-- 6 DSR
20 DTR -------+
+-- 1 DCD

Sun computers can also come equip with a 9 pin and RJ-45 connector. To identify look at the rear of the Sun computer for a port labeled A. Sun's System Handbook will also identify the serial port type and list the different types of cable adapters.

2. Configuring Sun machine for login

The only thing to do on the Sun machine is:

Verify there is an active "ttymon" process for the console.

Disconnect the keyboard prior to booting the Sun box. Upon bootup the Sun's low level firmware (OBP = OpenBoot[TM] PROM) will look for an attached keyboard. If not found OBP will redirect all console I/O through the primary serial port (ttya). A message "No Keyboard found" will display.

To check for "ttymon" login service:

# ps -ef | grep console
root 11689 1 0 Sep 14 console 0:00 /usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -h -p <host> console login: -T sun -d /dev/console ......

Please note it is possible to change the default "ttya" port to "ttyb" by modifying a couple OBP parameters then rebooting without the keyboard:

OBP> input-device=ttyb
OBP> output-device=ttyb

3. Configuring the PC

Starting the Hyperterminal application

For Windows 95

To start HyperTerminal go to the Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> HyperTerminal.

For Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

To start HyperTerminal go to the Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories-> Communications -> HyperTerminal

The Hyperterminal window appears.

Configure Hyperterminal to match the Sun machine. Use settings below:

Name: SUN <host> Console <Enter OK>
Connect Using: COM1 <Enter OK>
PORT SETTINGS: 9600, parity=none, stop bits = 1, flow control = software <Enter OK>

Hit <carriage return>, a Solaris console login prompt will appear.

<Host> Login:

Temporary Workaround: Top

Additional Information: Top

The primary console login service is spawned by the "co" entry in the file "/etc/inittab":

co:234:respawn:/usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -h -p "`uname -n` console login: " ......

To send a BREAK (STOP-A) signal from Hyperterminal:

Hit <Control><Pause>

Or hit <Control><Break>

OK Tuka to run STOP-A (CTRL+PAUSE or CTRL+BREAK).
Thanks.

But how can I do an STOP-N, for example when a SUN do not start ? (Power On Ok, but the Green LED screen stay blinking, and the screen is black)

Sometimes, we have to do STOP-N (OBP defaults values) to debug this.

Hi Tuka

You know, there are models with SUN USB Keyboard, and others (olders) with SUN original Keyboard
For example :
- with a Ultra 10 model (Old keyboard)
- with a SunBlade 150 model (USB keyboard)

Also, if my console is a PC via TTYA, if the stop-A is "CTRL+BREAK", how to do a "CTRL-N" (OBP defaults values)?

Thanks

OK for STOP-N on SunBlade150 !!

I will check output and input devices default next time I work on SunBlade150 or equivalent.

Thanks Tuka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back