Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I upgrade the memory in my Gateway Profile 2? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnjt

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
US
I wanted to upgrade the memory in my Gateway, Profile 2. The technicians where I took the computer did not know how to get the case open without possibly destroying the machine. I don't want the machine rendered inoperable but I would like to upgrqde memory. Does anyone have a clue how to get the case open. Getting the monitor off was no problem but the metal case just won't seem to separate from the plastic housing.
Anyone have any experience with this computer? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you,
jerry D.

Capt2Duck

What socket adaptor are you using? I have been trying to get my hands of a PowerLeap PL-370/T. That adapts voltages and the pins, but PowerLeap doesn’t offer it any more.

The first place I ordered from sent me an adaptor for a Slot 1 motherboard and after questioning them I found out they didn’t have any PL-370/Ts. The second place sent me version 1 of the adaptor which does not adjust voltages. After about a month of emails back and forth, they said they will send me a version 2 next week. So maybe in a week or so I can give it a try.

Which package is you 1Gig FCPGA or FCPGA2

The PL-370/T converts a PPGA 370 socket to a FCPGA2 (Tualatin based) 370 socket

There is a PowerLeap Neo S370 that will take you from PPGA to FCPGA (Coppermine base)

Not sure if the Coppermine is going to buy much performance improvement. The Tualatin will give us a big jump with the increased cache and higher speed.

maltong,

I've owned a Profile 2 since '99 when I bought it new. Opened it up a couple times for RAM upgrades, currently running 256K. I've wanted to do a processor upgrade and done a little homework. It's based on the Intel 810 chipset, that originally supported both 66Mhz and 100Mhz FSB. That allowed it to have either a Celeron in a PPGA package (66MHZ) or PIII in a FC-PGA package(100Mhz)--both Socket 370 but not interchangeable without an adaptor. Of course our machine used the Celeron. Celerons got as fast as 733Mhz in PPGA 66Mhz FSB(a direct plug-in, but hardly worth the trouble), Celerons at 100Mhz FC-PGA got a little faster and PIII got to 1.1 Ghz in FC-PGA 100Mhz FSB(the one you'd want to upgrade to and use and adaptor for, but hard to find and very expensive, I've seen $120 and $145 recently.)

That all sounds good, but further study of the above post that says our chipset is infact a Intel BP810 shows that it only supported 66Mhz FSB! Seems Gateway may have bought the stripped down version. IF this is the case, it would only support the 66Mhz FSB Celeron. Any of the 100Mhz Celerons or PIII processor are out of the question. If I am wrong about this Please let me know.

Oh yeah,
The guy that claims a 1.3 Ghz PIII in his Profile 2.......
If it's true I'd love to know the details. That processor is in the 133Mhz FSB family and would not work even with and adaptor, our chipset never supported that. Even at 100Mhz it would be "underclocked" slow--why do it?. He has posted that same claim elsewhere in AsktheUser.com. When questioned about it he says he actually doesn't own the Profile 2!!! I don't get it. And he doesn't reply when questioned on this forum.

okay,

I have 3 of these Profile 2 systems. they all got celerons in them 466 or 500. I thought they only took 128. Somebody tell me what is the fastest processor I can put in one of these? Will I have to update the bios?

yankeeTech,

RAM in the Profile 2 can be upgraded to 256k. It requires a single DIMM of 100Mhz SDRAM, UnBuffered, Non-ECC, 168 pin 3.3v, 64bit. This is the generic stuff sold retail at any Circuit City, Bestbuy, Etc. Lately I've seen prices as low as $64.oo for 256K.
As for the processor...For a direct plug-in upgrade the Celeron got as fast as 633Mhz in the PPGA Package w/66Mhz Front Side Bus (FSB)(the socket that's in it originaly). Hardly worth the effort.
With a FCPGA socket adaptor you could run the PIII that got as fast as 1.1GHZ (w/100Mhz FSB). Sounds good, but this processor is hard to find now and costs about $120-150.00 not including the adaptor. At that price, simply not worth it, IMO.
Additionally, There is the question of whether the Profile 2's chipset, Intel BP810, will support a 100Mhz FSB. The standard 810 chipset supported both 66Mhz and 100Mhz FSB. The specs on the Profile 2's chipset indicates support for only 66Mhz FSB. Thus, only the PPGA Celeron, that got as fast as 633 Mhz, would work as an upgrade.

Thanks watsongrg,

thanks for the Ram info. I dropped a 256 mb stick in and it chirped and beeped - didn't like that. They're PC133, apparently the motherboard and/or the Ram is not backward compatible. I found some 700 mhz celeron processors online for 13.50 each. As soon as I get my hands on the correct Memory I'll go ahead and swap out the processors too (since I'll be spending the effort opening these monsters). I dropped a Cel. 600, and the Bios and/or MB recognizes it as a PIII 600, I thought that was interesting. Will let you know how it goes when all is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back