Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I upgrade the memory in my Gateway Profile 2? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnjt

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
US
I wanted to upgrade the memory in my Gateway, Profile 2. The technicians where I took the computer did not know how to get the case open without possibly destroying the machine. I don't want the machine rendered inoperable but I would like to upgrqde memory. Does anyone have a clue how to get the case open. Getting the monitor off was no problem but the metal case just won't seem to separate from the plastic housing.
Anyone have any experience with this computer? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you,
jerry D.

You may be out of luck.
It's my understanding that the GW Profile 2 is designed as a fully sealed system which cannot be upgraded.

Guys...THIS IS NOT A PROFILE 2.....Its the ORIGINAL PROFILE...the 400Mhz unit and similar in case to the Profile 1.5.........The GWProfile 2 was cased differently...

Also I believe what man puts together....man has to be able to take apart (for Warranty Service if for no other reason)

Someplace there is an answer....Gateway seems to want to keep it to themselves.....

Re: My last....My problem is similar to dunnjt's....but my rig is the original...see above.....

On mine there is a cover plate over the memory that allow an additional SODIMM to be added....

Thanks for the goof..

Dunnjt,

Did you have any luck getting your Gateway Profile 2 apart to add memory? I'm in the same boat right now....

I was succesful in adding memory. Actually Gateway was successful. I had previously taken the Profile machine to a local business (not Gateway) and they were not able to open the case. The Gateway people were able to do what was necessary to add memory. However, as you may already know, the Gateway stores are either closed or are in the process of closing. This means the service centers are also closed. It might be possible that wherever the Gateway products will be sold, they can also be serviced. Hopefully. Hope this helps.
Jerry D.

I was able to open the case and upgrade the RAM but it was almost more of an adventure than it was worth. Disclaimer - I'm an IT sales guy and this was my first trip inside a PC and it was an enormous pain. Use this advice at your own risk.

After you have removed the screen and the 3 screws on the face-plate, it can be removed. I suggest using a plastic putty knife and start by unsnapping the two internal latches/snaps underneath each speaker. Then the two external tabs attaching the face to the bottom of the PC can then be eased off. Run the knife gently up each side to unsnap the 4 other connections, 2 on each side. You shouldn't need to insert the knife more than a 1/4 inch or so to accomplish this. Don't pull the face right off - there are 2 connectors by the mic and the power button that have to be disconnected first. Once the face is off you can unscrew the bottom of the case and the screw behind the hard drive access panel. The body of the PC will slide right out of the plastic case.

Unfortunately the ram card is only replaceable by going in from the back of the machine. The body is in two sections - top & bottom connected by screws - avoid removing these screws if possible. You should, however, disconnect the wire connectors between these two sections that are located on behind the top section. The bottom half is screwed into the base that the motherboard lives on. Remove the screws that attach the bottom half to the base. Once those are removed you should be able to lift the back of the unit forward about 45 degrees. You will see the RAM card at the front of the unit pointed towards you at an angle.

I managed to unseat the hard drive bus cable and break the monitor interface card. I was without my PC for two weeks while I nursed it back to health and spent more $$. Almost made me wish I'd spent $600 on an entry level Dell and transferred the contents of the hard drive. I've got a few pictures of the process if anyone is dying to see them.

Kudos to Skyline Engineering for having the RAM upgrade and the interface card I broke.

Lots of luck.

The Gateway Profile 2 is a tricky animal but you can upgrade in fact there are about 36 different screw you need to remove in order to get access to the DIMM slot. Mine currently has a 1.3 ghz socket 370 with 256mhz ram on it now be careful when you open her up. On the back side there are 2 or 3 tabs holding the bottom on. After all of the screws are removed you will need to slightly bend back the tabs in order for the bottom to drop down. Just make sure when you upgrade there is only 1 DIMM slot so make sure you get the proper size (256MB max) and voltage 1.5v I beleive. If you are going to try getting this done. I suggest you do both the CPU and RAM because you won't want to do this again. I have had mine apart 6 times for one thing or another. Good Luck

FormerGatewayguy
What's the secret to opening a Profile 1.5?
Thanks in advance.

Cyberdope - and ot others

could you email me the pictures of the inside of your Profile 2 or send me to where i can figure out where to connect the cables?

Based on posts to this thread, I have repalced the CMOS battery and an now trying to put the whole thing bvack together

When I dropped the motherboard off the bottom of the unit alll the cables came disconnected and I don't know how to reconnect them properly

Thanks''

Don HIll42

FromerGatewayGuy - you mentioned you have a 1.3 ghz socket 370 in your machine. is that a PIII or a Celeron? My Profile2 has been great for a couple years now (I had upgraded memory to 256mb several years ago) But with XP I really need a CPU upgrade.

Don,

I'm not sure that my pics will help based on the problem you described. I didn't actually take the motherboard off the bottom plate. I'll post a few at cyberdope.blogspot.com.

This thread has been going for over a year. . .wow!

I want to upgrade a profile 4. . .would the advice be any different?

Even though I didn’t think the Profile2 would support a 1.3Ghz Celeron. I thought I would give FormerGatewayguy’s suggestion a try and pop in a new CPU to see if it would work. Wouldn’t even run the POST.

FormerGatewayguy, if you have any suggestions to get a 1.3 Ghz Celeron to work in this box I’m all ears.

Well I at least I replaced the battery and blew off enough dust from the DVD drive to get it working again.

Cyberdope thanks for the posts.

Dear Cyberdope -

thanks for the pictures. I can't find a technical set of drawings for the motherboard to know where to put the cables back into the motherboard. For starters, based on your picture, I've been putting the on/off switch in the wrong place. I can't get the machine to turn on -- much less boot. I've got 2 different motherboards

DonHill,

I found that the mother board is a Intel BP810 and there is some information on it on this page.

There is a small difference they removed the video connection on back and did something custom for the profile2.

FormerGatewayGuy

I have Profile 2. Did memory upgrade to 256MB. Single DIMM slot. What processor did you use to go to 1.3 ghz socket 370? Tried a 1GHz Celeron with an adapter socket. Right now with upgrade in we get no video and machine keeps looking to boot from floppy. Processor was used and no way to test. Works OK with old 500mhz celeron and 256MB. Did you upgrade the BIOS? If so where from? Did you use adapter socket or is there a processor which fits the socket and has higher speed.

We have had apart 3 times. Getting used to it.
Any Help Appreciated.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back