Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I tell if the database that I did not create 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat25

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
Hello all,
I am working with a database that I inherited. I am trying to understand how to compact the file, but I do not know if
it is the "Design Master" or a "Replica". Can someone tell me how I can make that determination?
Also, I have a concern with the autonumber feature when compacting the database. Will the autonumbers be affected with compacting?
I have been reading about the compact feature, but just do not understand it enough on my own to feel secure enough to
try and compact my database.
Also, this database has not been split.
Thank you kindly for any help.
kat25

I have found that compacting my databases is generally a good maintence habit. Your autonumber will not be affected by a compact.
Is this a database that resides on a network server? Or is it resident on a PC? If it is the latter, then this is what I would do...do a search for the database name. If you find multiple copies then you know that you are not dealing with yur original production version. Most of my inherited databases reside on a server. The server version is the 'master' version. That's the one I perform the compact on. Mooo... :)

PPSAG,
The application resides on the server, however, their looks to be a basic application with one .mdb name and then there
are 2 versions with a different .mdb name. Such as, one is
employee.mdb (the basic one); then it looks like more forms and queries were built and the database was renamed EmployeeDatafiles. Another version of EmployeeDatafiles was also on the server as EmployeeDatafilesA. The later being the one that is being used by the employees.
Confusion?

This sounds a lot like the situation I had when I started my job. The previous person never threw anything out. She had five or six copies of each database. Each with a slightly different name, but only one was being used. I found the one being used and/or the one with the most current date of creation. I then moved all of the old files to a place on the server that was accessible only by me. I ignored them and worked only on the single version I left on the server. Then eventually when I was sure nobody (including me) needed those old files, I deleted them. It was a very confusing mess. I wish you luck. Mooo... :)

Try to edit the design of a table in the Database window

If it is a Replica it will not allow you to change the design and it will tell you why.

If the tables have a yellow Master icon next to them - you can edit them becuase you are in the master

If the tables have a black arrow next to then they are links to an external database ( where the table really is )

If there is no icon and you CAN edit the design then you have a simple database - no replication. no linking, no problems.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
accessaceNOJUNK@valleyalley.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

LittleSmudge, thank you.
I'm going to check that out now.

Again, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back