Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I tell if 2k server uses both processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a dual Athalon 2000 and I have win2k loaded on the server but how can I tell if the OS is actually using both cpu's?

thanks

First, look in device manager if there is a driver for MPS Multiprocessor PC (in Computer section). If not, you will have Standard PC, and just one processor will be working - upgrade to a MPS compliant driver if you want to use the two processors.

If there is a MPS driver installed, go to Task Manager and select View -> CPU History -> One Graph per CPU

Run taskmanager and see in the CPU performance tab if you have 2 CPU windows

If you originally installed Windows 2000 on a computer with a single CPU, the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) on your computer must be updated for your computer in order to use dual CPUs.

Check out MS KB Article Q234558 - HOW TO: Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back