Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can I sychronize the computer clocks in the windows 2000 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb095

MIS
Apr 27, 2004
US
I was wondering how to sychronze the comp. clocks in a windows 2000 domain?
-- Just an on the side question: I know Windows 2000 server has 2 mechanisms for Internet Connection Sharing. Do you happen to know what they are? Thanks for any responses

1)
I use this command in login script to set workstations clock:

net time \\servername /set /yes

2)
You can share internet connection with ICS or NAT .
NAT is available in RRAS on W2K server only, ICS is available in both W2K PRO and SERVER.

Both of them are not such good solutions for buisiness networks with more then 5 computers, but can be good for SOHO.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

If the client is W2K it will automaticaly sychronze the clock off of the DC because it is part of Kerberos encryption schema and if the DC and clients clocks get to far off you start running into problems.

BTW if the client is prior to W2K it will use NTLM authentication which it does not care about the time. also it is suggested not to run the net time to set clocks for W2K clients because it does not take into account network leagacy time and time zones for setting the clock.

doesn't the above just apply to native AD's ?´
I don't think the kerberos encryption scheme works in hybrid AD's. Because we are right now experiencing that problem with clock time out of sync. If differs as much as 30 minutes between workstations and the DCs.

i meet the same problem
the 2000 server always have the problem of w32time,
the pdc and bdc are using nt4.0,
i have install the w32time service on the pdc and bdc
however, the pdc and bdc always have the warning of "cannot find the secondary domains" but i have make the correction setting already. and all the 2000 server have the error events,
how to due with that??

thx and regards Kill Ghost Prince

Kerberose works in a mixed enviroment if you have deployed AD, even if some servers are still NT 4.0 . the NT machines will use NTLM as the authentication method if W2K and above will use Kerberose

Automatic Time Sync takes place only when W2K pro and above are in W2K Domain with AD

Since we are talking about AD, MS will be releasing a version of AD that does not require W2K Domain to be deployed it will be stand alone. Just to take make things more confussing

Oh by the way
Win9X is a seperate issue all by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back