Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I stop the Start Bar from appearing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAsceptic

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2002
GB
Does anyone know where the settings are in Windows 2K to prevent the windows Start bar from being displayed. I cannot find anything in the Registry or Policies to disable it. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Why would you want to do that? I have never seen it done, and am pretty sure that it can't be done.

Looks like auto-hide is the next best thing.

Hi AP81

Thanks for replying.

The reason that I need to disable it together with the ALT-TAB function is that the PCs are going out to serveral home working clients where they will terminal serve into a W2K / Citrix server farm. On start up the PCs will automatically login to the local pc using a local account which has a batch file in its start up folder that changes the shell from explore.exe to one that only gives the user the user the option to login to the farm via a VPN connection. For security reasons I do not want the users to have any access to the local PC. The trouble with auto hide is that it will still be available to the user.

Dude:

You could find out what file(s) make the Start bar happen and rename them. You might then need something that deals with the resulting error message.

rev

If you're using W2K server, then you should be able to push down a group policy to the local machine, since they are using VPN. I'm not sure if you can make the Start button go away entirely through the policy editor, but you can disable or turn off just about everything in the Start Menu. So even if the user clicked on the Start Menu, nothing would be accessible.

jw9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back