Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I stop Liveupdate in Norton 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
GB
I've done the usual, going into Tasks & Settings > Change Advanced Settings > then unticked "Automatic Norton Updates", but the little blighter still manages to get started. I'm using the very useful 'procexp.exe' which shows all the processes very clearly.
The reason I'm disabling Liveupdate is because it seems to run about every half hour and is monopolising my laptop's CPU.
I've also checked the schedules tasks via the Control Panel and that's empty (I've also disabled Microsoft from installing Windows updates for the same reason). I'm quite happy to run/install both sets at my leisure, usually at the end of the day, but I'm baffled as to how Liveupdate still manages to creep in.

Same thing on my Inspiron 1501, everytime I use it, suddenly my laptop would slow to a crawl in the middle of something and ALU.exe and it's kin were taking over.

Go to CONTROL PANEL --> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS -- SERVICES and DISABLE the "Automatic Live Update" service.

This should kill it. Be aware that any time you run the Live Update thru the Norton package/menus it will restart this service, because that's what it's set to do.

I have a script stop it everyday at 8AM before I get going.

Drawback #1 -- I have the same script run the Live Update and download it before I stop it (because it will restart the service)...the problem is that the menu isn't tuned into this and will think you're not running ALU at all.

***Massive Disconnect***

After a while, you'll see an Exclamation ! icon on your Norton 360 tray icon and then you'll get dialog prompts telling you you're not up-to-date.

Until Norton can figure out how to reconcile this, I simply wait until I can't stand the prompts anymore, then run live update thru the menus, so I don't get any false alarms.

This is much nicer as I only have to deal with it maybe once per week. Don't forget to disable the service after you do this.

Your mileage may vary.

>

I have a somewhat related problem that is very persistent, and a more insidious one that preceded it and still persists.
1) Norton/Symantec LiveUpdate (NIS 2008 Vista 64-bit compatible) states "updates available" at every boot whether they are or not. This just started within the last few days, after I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS 2008, in hopes of correcting another, more serious problem:
2) A full scan of C: (the system drive), does not complete, but keeps running, even after 8-10 hours (over-night) with nothing else running; this occurs whether run manually or scheduled, and it runs the CPU (1 or 2) at 55-68% continuously. I have tried an enormous number of the suggestions and solution posted on various forums and blogs, but with no resolution. A similar scan of my 2nd drive (a data & apps-for-install drive), takes only 1-2 hours, even though it has more disc space in use. The scan's files counter continues to increment to an insanely large number if allowed to continue. The same scans on the same drive used to take only 1.7 - 2.3 hours, though the drive actually had more space in use. I have run numerous Vista64 compatible anti-rootkit, anti-malware scanners, locally on-line, in regular and in Safe-mode, and beyond the usual ad & tracker cookies, and in our security lab via network scans with various forensics tools, and nothing has yet been detected. So I do not know if the issue is OS or NIS based due to a Microsoft update (highly possible), or a NIS update, or driver(s) or other conflict, or some combination. I have disabled numerous startup & running processes and rebooted with the same results (and of course have re-enabled those having no effect that I still want to run). I have tried removing the scheduled scans in NIS and creating them in Task Scheduler - but still receive the same results. When I eventually stop the scan so I can get some work done, the results indicate no malware detected, and all the logs show is that the scan was aborted and the run-time length – no other results. I have no way of really knowing if the scan was successful, or if it actually completed scanning the entire drive or still actually had more to go as it seemed to indicate.

Not sure where to go from here.
-Robert

Hi treborsitnay,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting.

A hung scan on your system drive can point to a problem with Windows, however, it is most likely due to a problem with the actual disk. Remove all Windows and internet temporary files from your disk first.

Next, run the Microsoft checkdisk application 3-4 times consecutively on the problematic disk.

After you have completed the checkdisk operation, open Norton Internet Security and first attempt to do a quick scan of the drive. After the quick scan is finished, perform a Full system scan and let me know the outcome.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation

Mike,

If you are from Norton, perhaps you can tell us all how to stop Liveupdate from running regardless of how many times we switch it off. I've done the additional actions recommended by Gadrin, but it still creeps in and kicks off.
I want to control my laptop's CPU usage without others such as Norton monopolising the machine.

Haydn

Well Haydn I did myself a huge favor. I had to re-image my laptop at the end of June 2008.

So I went to the Norton site, downloaded the Norton Removal Tool and got rid of it! I installed Avast (which is free) and gave it a test drive, and ALL MY VIRUS PROBLEMS HAVE VANISHED. No more slow boot, downloading defs issues, no more slow browser (Firefox) everything is G-R-E-A-T. In fact I don't even notice the virus component of my PC anymore.

Even scanning is quicker, what took 2+ hours with Norton, now takes 30 to 45 minutes.

Avast does it all (it's not automated, but you can purchase a PRO version) and almost transparently.

>

Hi Haydn,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

In regards to the LiveUpdate feature in Norton 360, under normal operation, it should not be consuming many resources at all. There may be a problem with your installation of Norton 360, a software conflict or an infection that is contributing to the problem. Make sure that the Windows firewall is disabled, as it will cause conflicts with the Norton firewall. also, make sure that you do not have any other third-party antivirus or internet security applications running as they will cause conflicts with Norton 360 as well.

Please open Norton 360 and manually run LiveUpdate and then perform a "Comprehensive Scan" with Norton 360 to rule out infections as the source of the problem.

If you are not using Norton 360 version 2, I highly encourage you to update, as it contains many improvements and new features over the 1.0 version.

As long as you have a valid subscription to Norton 360, you can update it for free by visiting the Norton Update center and downloading it.
Norton Update Center

As to changing the LiveUpdate settings in Norton 360,this is not recommended as your system will be vulnerable to the latest threats.

If you would still rather disable the Automatic LiveUpdate, first un-check the box in the Norton 360 2.0 interface for "Automatic LiveUpdate." Next, follow these steps to change the settings in the LiveUpdate CP.

1. Open the Symantec LiveUpdate Control Panel and then change the LiveUpdate method to "Interactive Mode."

2. Select the "Automatic LiveUpdate" tab. Un-check the box next to "Use Automatic LiveUpdate."

3. To make sure there is no corruption in the already downloaded LiveUpdate files, select the "Update Cache" tab and then choose to "Remove All Files from Cache" option.

Please NOTE, that because LiveUpdate is an integral aspect of keeping your computer protected, Norton 360 will notify you that this feature is disabled and you will continually have the red 'Fix" button displayed. To manually run LiveUpdate you can click on "Start"->"Run" and type "luall.exe" and follow the prompts.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back