Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I speed up the boot process from the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meistwer

Technical User
Jan 26, 2003
GB
Hi there!

There´s a way to increase the speed on the boot up process modifing something on the BIOS, avoiding to be seen the windows 98 logo, and something else, but I don´t know how to do it.
My machine is a brand new AMD XP 2.1 and it is suppose to be faster than the old CPU I had but it´s taking a really long time to boot up.
How can I resolve this?.

Thanks a lot.

Patience - the best improvement you can hope for is a few seconds - but 98 should load pretty quickly with your new setup.

few points.

1. If its not booting in less than a minute, there's probably something wrong - eg, need a reinstall/system clean up.

2. You'd be better off with 2k or XP - much more stable.

if you told us what hjas actually happened - it would help.

You could bypass memory test. You can bypass floppy seek on boot. You can make sure the unused IDE slots are marked as unused. All of these can speed things up. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

In your MSDos.sys file you could add the line > Logo=0 .

This will remove the windows splash screen. We are always looking for new members at our computer forums: Please come join our community too.

A few more ways:

Remove all startup progs that you do not need.

Check your BIOS, more than likely has a FastBoot option which if FastBoot is enabled, the boot will skip some non-critical POST tests.

In config.sys: If you have DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS, change to DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS TESTMEM:0FF

In MSDOS.SYS, add/modify to BOOTDELAY=0

Rgds

Thanks a lot, something else, where is msdos.sys file and how can add a line?

Rgds

MSDOS.SYS should be in root c:\ and can be edited using Notepad.

Rgds

Hi there,

Thanks a lot,.....
I know nothing about msdos, shall I restart the PC in msdos mode and type C:\msdos.sys?.
I´m not sure how can I edit the new line.
May you explained it please?.

Thanks a lot again.

Rdgs

R.-

The msdos.sys is a simple ascii file and may be edited in Windows just like any other small text document, using Notepad.

Navigate Windows Explorer to root (c:\)

Locate msdos.sys, right-click and select "Open With...",
Select Notepad.

Edit appropriately.

Ensure that you do not make any typographical errors and do not alter anything that you are unsure of.

Changes take effect on reboot.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back