Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I speed up and improve my computer that has windows 98? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJr

Technical User
Nov 22, 2003
US
Okay, since some think it may not be a wise move to upgrade to xp, I was wondering what I could do to speed up or in anyway improve my computer? I may be getting a new one in the future but for now, I would like to get some input on what to do to the one I now have. I am new to learning abour computers but I am very interested. The only real upgrade I have done was upgrade from 32mb ram to 256mb. Is there anything else I can do? Will upgrading my hard drive speed anything up? Anybody heard of marketscore? Thanks.

Randy,
If you have an older computer, putting Windows XP on it is sure to slow things down. You really need to have a 500-600MHz PC or better for XP. Anything slower can still work, but at a much slower pace.

Here's the Win95/98 FAQ section that may have a few tips:

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Hi, RandyJr,

I haven't used Win98 for a couple of years now, but complete fresh re-install was the best way to restore a bit of zip to Win98.

Iechyd da! John
22:39 24/11/2003 GMT

Thanks guys, I'll look into everything submitted.

RandyJr

If you download this great little system info tool and post back the System Info in a Text copy and paste(and just xxxxx out any thing you think is Real personal, shouldn't be much)

your sure to get a lot more in depth upgrade responses......

This tool will , no doubt , come in handy one day when, say for example you need to know the exact Video card # and version installed to Update the drivers(is it PCI, or AGP, or Integrated) or for your modem or your Mobo Chipset drivers.....you get the point

ya see, what'll happen is opinions on exactly how and what to upgrade will clash a little, which is great for any indepth, knowledgeable, learning experience[bigsmile]

Oh yeh....one thing you can do right away is make sure your Temporary Internet Files folder is set to no more than 5-8 MegaBytes.....not the Default 20mb or 100 that AOL and others set it at.
ya see,
I'm already assuming you're using Internet Explorer
I'm also thinking you're runnin win98...right?
In IE 6
Go to Tools>Internet Options>General Tab
Click Delete Files.....when the little prompt box appears...click OK(make sure the "delete all offline content" box is "unchecked"......just for now....more on that later)
Then click Settings
.........in the middle TIF area, click Settings, and move the slider and/or the up/down arrows in box to 5-8 Mb.

there's much more...so
Hope to hear from ya [thumbsup]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Okay, well here it is. Any input?
------------------------------------------------------------

Profile Date: Monday, November 24, 2003 23:11:50
Advisor Version: 6.0m

Operating System System Model
Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998) TriGem Computer, Inc. COMO3 1.00
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
367 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: TriGem Computer, Inc. COMO3 1.00
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0631 04/19/99
Drives Memory Modules c,d
4.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-140
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (4.30 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 128 MB
Slot '1' has 128 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 4.30 GB 3.08 GB free

Logins Network Drives
No details available

Installed Microsoft Hotfixes Printers
Internet Explorer
SP1 (SP1)

Click here to see all available security Hotfixes.

Marks a HotFix that verifies correctly
Marks a HotFix that fails verification
(Failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)
An unmarked HotFix lacks the data to allow verification Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-800 on LPT1:
HP DeskJet 870Cse on LPT1:

Controllers Display
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X (English) [Display adapter]
JEN 13.8 [Monitor] (13.8"vis, August 1999)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Crystal SoundFusion(tm) Game Device
Crystal SoundFusion(tm) Joystick
Crystal SoundFusion(tm) PCI Audio Accelerator
Communications Other Devices
Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631 #2 [Modem]
Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter DSI Modem Device Manager
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
USB Root Hub
Software Licenses

Microsoft - Internet Explorer 55736-OEM-2854196-04005
Microsoft - MediaPlayer 53199-514-1202995-04435
Microsoft - Windows 98 23103-OEM-0076107-05944 (Key: DVFVW-P646F-CH9PK-96P2C-RVWXM)e

Software Versions
ACDSee Version 3, 1, 0, 0 *
Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 5.0.0.0 *
Adobe Acrobat Version 3.0.000 *
AdpBrowser Application Version 1, 0, 0, 21 *
America Online Version 9.00.000 *
America Online, Inc. Sinf Application Version 7.00.000 *
ATI Multimedia Player Version 5.2 *
Belarc, Inc. - BelManage Client Version 6.0m *
Companion Module Version 1, 5, 1, 2 *
CompuServe Version 7.00.000 *
Creative On-line Registration System Version 1.0.0.1 *
Eastman Software, Inc., A Kodak Business - Imaging for Windows® Version 1.01.1311 *
GTek Technologies Ltd. - GTCoach Version 3, 0, 0, 1 *
GTek Technologies Ltd. - TrainerCabLauncher Application Version 1, 0, 0, 1 *
Introduction to Microsoft Works *
javaw.exe * Microsoft (r) Windows Script Host Version 5.6.0.6626 *
Microsoft Corporation - Clip Gallery 3.0 for Windows Version 3.0 *
Microsoft Corporation - DirectShow Version 6.4.07.1121 *
Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 6.00.2800.1106 *
Microsoft Corporation - Windows Telephony Version 4.10.2000 *
Microsoft Works for Windows Version 4.00.05.465 *
Microsoft Works Version 1,0,1,1921 *
Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player Version 7.01.00.3055 *
Microsoft® Plus! for Windows® 95 Version 4.40.500 *
Microsoft® Chat Version 2.1 *
Microsoft® FrontPage(TM) Version 2.0.2.1118 *
Microsoft® Internet Services Version 6.1.33.0 *
Microsoft® NetMeeting(TM) Version 2.1 *
Seagate Software, Inc. - Backup *
WinZip Version 8.1 (4319) *
WinZip Version 8.1 SR-1 (5266) *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Click to see where software is installed.
a. Megahertz measurement may be inaccurate if other programs were busy during last analysis.
b. Data may be transferred on the bus at one, two, or four times the Bus Clock rate.
c. Memory slot contents may not add up to Installed Memory if some memory is not recognized by Windows.
d. Memory slot contents is reported by the motherboard BIOS. Contact system vendor if slot contents are wrong.
e. This may be the manufacturer's factory installed product key rather than yours.
Copyright 2000-3, Belarc, Inc. All rights reserved.
Legal notice. U.S. Patents 6085229, 5665951 and Patents pending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's really not a whole lot left to do to this system, aside from upgrading the CPU and motherboard which will pretty much lead to a new system.

It wouldn't hurt to throw in a 7200RPM hard drive with 8MB cache, but your motherboard only supports ATA/33. So you would definitely want to buy a $30 PCI IDE controller card to get ATA/100 or ATA/133 if you decide to upgrade it.

However, don't expect to get much of a performance boost even from that. Bigger bottlenecks are still going to keep you from seeing the true potential of a newer hard drive. I recently threw in a 120GB ATA/133 drive with 2MB of cache into a 350MHz Pentium II. It hardly made a difference over the older 5400RPM 6GB drive.

Personally, I would heavily consider formatting your drive and reinstalling Windows clean. Only reinstall the apps you really need and go from there. You'll see a huge speed increase, especially if it's been several years since you've started from scratch.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

RandyJr
I kinda agree with cdogg....yet maybe buy a new 7200 ATA/100 (with the PCI IDE Controller too, that darn Bus Clock: at 66 megahertz FSB is the real bottleneck) to use as Primary Master and use the Old drive as Slave to either Store Data or Ghost the drive or just keep larger music files on it, just to separate your data and keep your system clean...
You can always use the new 7200 as slave in a New PC when ready..therefore it's worth the investment
You've seem to have done pretty well in keeping the clutter off that small drive(only using slightly more/less than 1Gb is the way i like to run to for my main OS in 98 w/program files, not really possible in XP....plus all the newer apps are really bloated, like MS Office)...

cdogg;
On your above recent upgrade 120GB ATA/133 drive with 2MB of cache into a 350MHz Pentium II.
Did you add the PCI ide controller card also.????
I've gotta 350MHz Pentium II w/100mHz FSB and a 5400RPM drive system needing an upgrade as well....

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Thanks guys, I just got a Wal-mart sales paper that says they have two good HP systems on sale for cheap. One is a 2.7 Gig Intel celeron system complete for about $500. That seems to be a good price. One more question, in the new computers for sale today, how much better is a Pentium 4 over a high Gig Intel celeron Processor? Reason I ask is that all the computers I'm looking at buying that are in my price range are equipped with Celeron processors. I figure if the P4's are a ton better, I figure I should spend the extra money to get the better computer. Let me know, I am seriously considering buying a new computer and ditching this one to my grandma.

Not much difference now, but before there was.....
So save the money, and use it to buy Norton Ghost or somethin else to help grandma with a windoze pc(hope she' still got a lot of hair left)[bigsmile]

Here's a clip from a well respected hardware test site

In the past.....
Not only did past Celerons have to get by with a smaller L2 cache, but their FSB clock speed was also slower (first 66, then 100 MHz). That's all changed now, with the latest model based on Pentium 4 architecture. So does that, plus its low price tag, make it a viable alternative to the Pentium 4?
from here
and there's more links from there

TT4U

Notification:

Have you checked AMD option?
All of my systems, 3 so far have been of AMD I built. Am not complain about them. My latest one upgraded from AMD K3 400MHz to AMD Athron XP +1700. Of course I switched the mother board also. (to MSI K7T Turbo2 - ATX form factor) with the same amt of RAM you have. This particular MB allows you to use either the slow RAM (PC100) or faster more current ones. The price I paid? Just around $120 from a vendor in CA. It is smoother, not only much faster than my VAIO notebook at 1GHz.

Randy,
If you want to stick with Intel, the newer Celerons that are over 1.8GHz aren't too shabby. However, consider that a similarly priced Athlon XP 2000+ (possibly even cheaper) would beat out the Celeron in pretty much every benchmark. For most office applications and internet browsing, however, you won't notice much difference between the Athlon, Celeron, or P4 running at the same speed.

TT4U,
Yes, I am using an ATA/133 PCI card to bypass the older ATA/33 bus onboard. However, I think the biggest reason why I haven't noticed a difference is because the system is running XP with a crappy video card and only 128MB of RAM. I'm sure if I bother to upgrade both of those as well, I may finally see some return on the hard drive. To be continued...[tab][wink]

Hedda,
I second the recommendation for Diskeeper 7.0. It's one of the fastest defraggers out there that optimally places frequently used files at the center of each disk platter where read times are fastest.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back