Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I skip the blocking 'agent' in net-surfing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chenwenjun

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
RW
I found some sites are available worldwide, but for me is not accessible.
How can I skip the blocking 'agent' so as to get wider range in internet?

"Learn till the last breath."

it depends what's blocking you, and why.

If you trying to circumvent a block on your work network, even if you do circumvent it, it's likely the network administrators would notice this...leading very quickly to a P45 and a visit to the nearest job centre.

If you STILL want to get around this block, post back with how you're setup, what error message you get when you're blocked, and any details about the blocking program.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

manarth, if i'm understanding correctly, he is speaking in terms of the supposed &quot;world wide web&quot; not being able to reach international sites and what not.

if this is so, you SHOULD be able to get anywhere unless countries like china for example &quot;block&quot; thier citizens. in MOST cases it is the &quot;interloop&quot; of sorts that make it seem to be blocked. meaning there are domains that are not linked to mainstream sites that YOU visit. for example, i don't see much of any sites that are popular among people in the UK because the sites are not linked to the ones i visit regularly. also, useing google.com to search will bring results with a different outcome than google.co.uk, and visa versa. i do visit some UK sites but not as much as one that lives there.

(**remember people that i'm only useing &quot;UK&quot; as an example**)

&quot;Jack of all trades. Master of none.&quot;
[americanflag]

thank you both.
As I understood, what you meant is that 'if it is blocked by your government,you can do Nothing about it', right?

&quot;Learn till the last breath.&quot;

to use the china example - china is behind a giant government controlled firewall.

One option is to dialup using an international dialing code and dial to an ISP in, say, the UK. Unless China also block the phone line from dialling the number, this will circumvent the firewall. Downsides - it's costly (international call to use the internet), and the phone lines are subject to government interception.

Of course, if you were accessing secure (i.e. encrypted) websites, the government would then have the task of cracking the encryption. I don't know what their capabilities are in that area. Even if they couldn't crack the encryption, enough suspicion may be raised to cause the user problems.

a second option would be to find an anonymising proxy server which the firewall is not blocking. if you have access to a proxy based outside the firewall, you would be able to access everything the proxy can access.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

thanks, can you suggest me some proxy??

I've not tried the following yet, so I'm not sure which (if any) will be accessible...

proxy lists

A few public proxies
Code:
IP address:port    host-name
203.141.167.9:80   earth.green-earth.ne.jp 
 62.81.33.25:80    PALM-E1.red.retevision.es 
208.27.166.10:80 
 24.61.218.52:8080 h00e0293afff3.ne.client2.attbi.com 168.143.113.13:80 
209.234.157.13:80 
203.14.169.17:80

Please be aware that use of these proxies MAY be illegal in some countries. Whilst these proxies may circumvent a firewall, it's possible that usage of the proxies may be monitored or tracked by the authorities. How likely this is I do not know, but I feel I have to warn you of the possibilities.

Best wishes, Marc.

Thanks a million!

It works at least with the 3rd proxy!
Well, the 1st one did not work out.

By the way , mind if I ask a naive question:
why are there some proxy providers? what is their profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back