Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can i set different outgoing ip when sending emails ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geex1559

Technical User
Dec 2, 2010
LB
I would like change the outgoing IP address when sending an email dynamically based on the IP assigned with the domain,
I am doing so because i have multiple clients and each of them has a dedicated IP, for now all emails sent with the same outgoing IP ( the primary address for my server ),
if one of my clients sends SPAM this IP would be blacklisted which will affect other clients... I have postfix 2.5.5 installed on Debian 5.0

Any help ?!!!

First, let me welcome you to Tek-Tips.

I had to re-read your post several times and I think I may understand your question. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I interpret your statements to mean that you are running an email server and you allow others (clients) to send mail via this server. Your concern is that if one of them uses your server to SPAM that your IP address will get black listed and this will cause problems for your OTHER, non spamming, clients.

There are a couple of problems you face.

First, the situation as described is true. The fact is that by allowing these clients to send mail through your server, you are accepting some responsibility for their actions. If one of them does start spamming, YOU as the mail server operator and YOUR server will bear the consequence. The first thing I would advise is that you reconsider the wisdom of this action.

If you decide to continue with this approach, you should think about using stringent outbound content filtering and rejecting any mail from a client that appears to be SPAM.

Second, from a technical standpoint, it sounds like you are trying to "spoof" the IP address - "dynamically change the IP based upon the originating domain." This is technically complex and difficult because the transactions involved in the email require bidirectional communication. This communication uses the IP address to properly route. I can't think of anyway to dynamically "assign" your server a different (public) IP on a per transaction basis.

Third, even if you do manage to change the originating IP on a per email or a per client basis, you will undoubtedly find yourself getting black listed. It is an unfortunate reality that SPAM is a real problem and a lot of spam originates with zombie computers that are not true, officially designated, email servers. Consequently, to run an email server you need to have solid credentials behind it, like forward and reverse DNS, domain keys, SPF records, STATIC IP addresses, etc. Trying to run an email server that changes its IP address would be highly suspicious.

Thank you Noway2, you got what i am trying to do very well.

I thought of an approach : i know we can change the smtp_bind_address parameter and that would set that IP as the outgoing IP for the mail server, but i do not want to make it static, i have a limited number of IP addresses and each one is associated to a domain name. maybe there is a way to make "smtp_bind_address" parameter change based on the IP that started the connection, that would be the domain's IP...

I hope i was clear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back