Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I see who is connected to my PC in Win 2000 workstation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlayng

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
US
What can I use (preinstalled in 2000) to see if someone is watching what I do on my PC? Thank you!

Right Click My Computer and Click Manage, Computer Management Console comes up. Then open Shared Folders, Then Sessions. This will tell you if someone is connected to your computer, then click open files and that will tell you what they are opening and viewing. Also, check your Event Viewer, it logs when people or other computer access your PC remotely, just browse through them. Rem. Win2000 comes with hidden shares C$, ADMIN$, IPC$ default for system administration duties when on a network. NT utilities-Domain Admins need these for managing PC's. Hope this sheds some light.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Systems Engineer

Thank you very much! I see my print servers and shared drive servers. If a network admin connected to my machine I would be able to see them in sessions or is there another way for them to connect without me seeing them? Also, Would they have a "netmeeting" looking view to see me manipulating my PC or just folder access? Thanks!

Also, in win 2000 what is the command that = msconfig in 98 & XP that allows you to control what is in your startup menu etc.. Thanks!

MS was nice enough to leave out the msconfig for W2K. However, the XP version will work. Just google search on msconfig and XP and you'll find it.

You seem to be trying to prevent your Network Admin from keeping tabs on you. A word of caution here. If your companys policy permits and, as in some cases, requires the Admins to keep an eye on user activity, then the very act of searching for and removing this ability will trigger them to pay you a visit. The end result will only be them reinstalling their capability and watching you even closer.

If your company policy does not permit this kind of activity, then you should bring it up with your supervisor if you feel it's being done contrary to policy.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I am local tech support and have nothing to do with the server end of the process. It isn't my intrest to disable anything I was just wondering how closely we are watched and I would like to know if it is happening to me!

Well, the software that we used doesn't show up in any of the areas that you've been looking, but rather is a service, just FYI.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

We use Dameware Utilities for one, and a few others. We can remote into anyones machine and watch everything they are doing. We see their exact screen. We can even record there keystrokes. Also there are certain .DAT files on your machine that we can look at to see where you have gone on the internet as well. Just rem. if you work for a company with strict guidelines, there is always someone watching. Just as for the internet, we also know each time you access one of our servers. Just FYI.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back