Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I secure a hard drive and protect data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adspi81

MIS
Dec 30, 2004
MT
How can I secure the hard drive and protect the data in it from being accessed when the hard drive is physically connected to another computer? I want to exclude the encryption solution because this is a real mess.

Based on what little you've outlined, I would suggest sharing the whole hard drive, then wrapping the appropriate security around it.

Want more? Provide more details.

~wmichael

"small change can often be found under seat cushions

One solution is as outlined above. Leave the drive visible and then only allow a specific user/group to access the drive.

Another solution is to hide the drive via group policy so only a specific group even knows it exists.

What are you looking to accomplish with this exactly? Why does the drive need to be attached to the system and hidden?

adspi81
Probably not the answer you were looking for but:
Have you thought about a USB2 and or Firewire external hard drive? that could be simply switched off when not in use.
This is safe and secure, protected from virus's when turned off which also gives the drive longer life because it is not spinning up all the time.
Also has the benefit of physical removal (lock in a safe) or connection directly to 3rd party computer (clients)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks for replying guys...yes perhaps I did not express myself clear. This computer is not part of a network. It is being used in an office and connected to dsl. All I want is to secure the data so that it cannot be copied or accessed. I have set a password for a specific user...therefore access is only limited to that user (so far data is safe). The only problem I got is that data can still be copied or accessed if the hard drive is connected to another pc. This data is inside my documents and microsoft outlook cab. Therefore, all I need, is to set the hard disk in such a manner that when connected to another pc, there is no way of taking the data.
Thanks guys.

So, you want the hard drive accessible (connected), but want to prevent data from being "Taken".

Do you mean you don't want it read, executed, copied, or modified except by a single user? And does this user need to be able to access the drive from anywhere on the network, or just on the PC it's connected to?

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Yes technical user,

I need the data to be accessible by only one user on the PC the drive is connected to. All other users, even if the hard drvie is connected to another pc by some other users, cannot view the data within. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

If the file system is NTFS, then what you are trying to accomplish shouldn't be a problem. You said you "already set a password", but the password you are referring to is just to get into Windows. That's not enough to prevent the drive from being read on another PC, as you already know.

What you need to do is select the entire drive in Windows Explorer, right click -> Properties, and go into the Security settings. Only allow your username access and remove all other accounts. If the drive is connected to another PC, the contents won't even show unless they're logged into Windows with the same username. If you use a domain at your office (not a mom&pop config), then that shouldn't be a concern.

As you can see, it's not perfect but should deter most users. Unfortunately without encryption, data on a hard drive can be easily hacked by someone who knows what they're doing and has "physical" access to the drive. If it's just a group of MIS guys, I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about.
[wink]

Sincerely,
the "technical user

Ever considered encrypting the disk? In that way nothing will usable be taken, and there's plenty of software around to do that encryption.

greetz

R.

RMGBELGIUM,

Encryption was mentioned several times above, but the user is hoping to avoid it.

Thanks Guys.

CDogg, you were very helpful. Unfortunately, Windows XP encryption seems too basic. Good encryptio software shall make use of an encryption key.
Thanks again guys. Have a happy new year.

Adriano.

Adriano,

What's basic about it? As I mentioned before, there is no real way to secure your data against another person who has physical access to it. EFS is your best option aside from using 3rd-party encryption. If you're that concerned, you should probably also look at a bicycle lock to keep the drive mounted in that PC.
[wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back