Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i secretly send email to myself from my application??

Status
Not open for further replies.

agit72

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
ID
I have an application buit in VFP, and I have a very important menu that call a very important procedure, therefore I want to send a e-mail to myself whenever that procedure called...
I've try the outlook... but it'l give my user a notification that my application send an email...

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY...???

agit72

Although I'm sure there are way of doing this, since viruses have been doing it for years using CDO, the question might be, why not put a password on the procedure or only allow the procedure depending on who is logged in or disable that menu option depending who is logged it.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

It can't be passworded... because that menu can be operated by anyone... and that application is for other company... and my contract is depend on that menu...

agit72

I recently discovered one of our computers was infected with a virus that sent many e-mails to all people in Outlook address book, and the reason it was discovered is the now Norton Antivirus is showing you a small window to indicate it is scanning your outgoing e-mails, but I guess if out-going scanning was disabled, it would have gone undetected since it does not place anything in either Outlook or Outlook Express' sent items. But take a look at faq184-1768 that uses CDO to send e-mail.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

You should be able to automate an invisible IE window to send to/from your 'own' webmail account.

Brian

The email features in west-wind's wwipstuff does not appear to give any notification of email being sent or log it in Outlook.

JJT

If you have Outlook, Redemption works very well.

Otherwise, you'll probably want to spend an inordinate
amount of time developing a robust email client using
the MSWinsock control.

A S*&* load amount of work.
You'll need to read up on the relevant RFC's regarding
SMTP etc. plus get the timing issues down regarding the
use of the control. (There are quite a few conditions that
can arise that if not handled properly, will hang the machine.

After you've got the hang of Winsock programming you'll
have quite a code base to grow from.

Darrell

'We all must do the hard bits so when we get bit we know where to bite' :)

Just use one of the SMTP controls.

There are a couple of VFP-based ones -- Rick Strahl's wwIPStuff springs to mind immediately.

Alternatively, Mabry's Mail/X control (I think that's what it's called) also works very well.

No need to go through Outlook or any other mail client, just communicate directly with a known SMTP server via one of these methods.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Coates
OzFox 2003 Australia's VFP Conference --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back