Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I schedule a query to run at a specific time??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmahip

Technical User
Oct 31, 2000
GB
I have a couple of reports which run in the early hours of Monday morning, these reports both take about 1 - 2 hours to run, so they have to be beavering away when no-one else is slowing down the system.

They could both run from a query but this also takes about an hour and a half to run - is there a straightforward way of scheduling a query or some other way to refresh the data?? Please help.

emmahip: It would help if you tell us more about your setup - are you using Crystal Reports or Seagate Info - if so which version?, Which operating system etc.? David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Emmahip,

I have exactly the same situation. Huge amount of reports that should be generated on daily basis; scattered over many remote locations.

In short, I need to scedule those reports to run automatically everyday at certain time.

I am using CR6 and Win NT 4. CR connects to Sybase SQL through ODBC driver.

Thanks, Zoma

Zoma: Suggest you use Seagate Info for this task. This has an event driven scheduling engine which will read in a CR6 rpt without change and give you the option to schedule to any frequency you like. As it runs on NT and can be configured to operate in multiple remote locations there would be minimal change required to implement David C. Monks

Seagate Info has many components, e.g. Info desktop, Info OLAP server, Developers kit...

Do you know which one contains the EVENT-DRIVEN SCHEDULAR ENGINE.

Do you know where to get a demo for this component before purchasing.

Thanks alot.

Zoma,

With versions 6 - 8 , you could compile the report to a shortcut. Reports run from a shortcut can be scheduled to run a specific date and time. This does not require any new software. For version 8 see the FAQ on downloading the compile feature.

Unlike INFO, this will not automatically recur but will require you to schedule it each week (on Friday) for running on Monday AM. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

I'd like more information on this... We are running NetWare 4.0 using Crystal 8. I have daily reports that require a date prompt. Is it possible to set the prompt to increment automatically?
If the auto calc is possible I suppose I would set one report to run for M-TH & one for F-S.
Regarding 'kenhamady's' response,if all the above isn't asking too much, would the cycle have to be manually reset?

We've just started using the program in the last 3 - 4 months & any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like more information on this
A - See the FAQ on compiled reports.

prompt to increment automatically?
A - No, but you can do this via formula. The prompt will occur at the scheduled time, not at the launch time.

Cycle have to be manually reset?
A - Not sure what you mean, but the report can't recur automatically. It has to be launched each time and given a start time. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

AngAriz: Suggest you look carefully at Info - this has the ability to have differing templates of dates to drive schedules as well as events to enable you to set up your prompt to respond to changes in date. Info7.5 is now out which embodies the CR8 design engine and would enable you to use any reports you've already developed David C. Monks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back