Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I restore system files in WinXP Pro ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylan

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
CA
Some programs in my system suddenly failed to function. I suspected corrupted system files may be the culprits. How can I restore the original system files in WinXP Pro. Please note that I had used system restores at various restore points but could not fix the problem . I am looking for the way to fix corrupted system files ( similar to the feature in Win98 SE ). Thanks,

SFC is still part of XP, but may not appear in the Start Menu. type sfc in the Run box to access it. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

System File Checker (sfc)Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Syntax
sfc [/scannow] [/scanonce] [/scanboot] [/revert] [/purgecache] [/cachesize=x]

Parameters
/scannow
Scans all protected system files immediately.
/scanonce
Scans all protected system files once.
/scanboot
Scans all protected system files every time the computer is restarted.
/revert
Returns the scan to its default operation.
/purgecache
Purges the Windows File Protection file cache and scans all protected system files immediately.
/cachesize=x
Sets the size, in MB, of the Windows File Protection file cache.
/?
Displays help at the command prompt.
Remarks
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc.
If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or unusable, use sfc /scannow, sfc /scanonce, or sfc /scanboot to repair the contents of the Dllcache directory.
Formatting legend
CNYTech
- A PC and Windows XP Support Forum

Actually, type "cmd" in the run dialog box. Then at the command prompt type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). Have your system disc in the CD Rom drive as it will be accessed to install corrected files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back