Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I resize a partition in Windows 2000 Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nth78

MIS
Dec 13, 2001
US
Are there any free programs that do this? thanks

Not sure about freeware programs, but I'll highly recommend Partition Magic v6.0 or higher. It's only about $50-$60 dollars!

John,

I tried Partition Magic 7 and it says it doesn't work with Windows 2000 Server, they suggest VolumeManager.

Partition Magic won't work if the only OS is W2k Server. But if you install a different operating system that is supported by PM, you can use it to resize any partition, even the one that has W2k Server on it.

Volume Manager is much like Partition Magic but more expensive and it supports Windows 2000 and NTFS. I have used it here to change partition sizes and it has done fine. Dan

Look in My Computer, Properties, Management, Disk Management. I believe there is an option there to extend a partition. GlennA
MIS, IT, Gofer

Our Windows 2000 server's C drive is getting dangerously low on disk space. Is Volume manager the best choice? will changing the partition size have any adverse effects on the system?

Thanks for any help
Greg

On Server.

Move pagefile.sys to f: drive.
Reset temp pointers to f: drive.
Empty recycle bin.
Empty c:\winnt\temp
empty c:\winnt\temporary internet files
empty recycle bin again.
Optinally, turn on compression.

That will free up lots of space
My Computer, Properties.

Anyway, you cannot easily extend a partition unless you have free continguous space.
GlennA
MIS, IT, Gofer

glenna is correct, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I was told if you move the page file, and you need to troubleshoot, you'll have to move it back to the c drive if you need to dump things like kernel files. Just an FYI. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"There is nothing in this world constant but inconstancy."
Jonathan Swift (1667-1745); Irish author.

Hi, Im new to posting on these forums, but have been coming here for months for answers, first I would like to say thanks for all the help over the last few months.

I am relativeley new to IT, and dont actually get paid to do it, but I have been asked to administer our network at work, only because I had been through the MCSE Track for NT 4.0, though I am not certified.

My question regarding this topic is that I'm also having this problem, on a 4gb partition running w2k server, and one of the solutions read:

"Reset temp pointers to f: drive."

What does that mean?

Right Click My Computer
Go to Properties
Environment
you will see
temp = c:\temp
tmp = c:\temp

Click on each and change
to f: (or whatever your
non c: drive is called) GlennA
MIS, IT, Gofer

If the partition was created on a dynamic disk it's possible to go to Computer Management --> Disk Management and drag to resize the partition.

FWIW,

Joe Brouillette

Another thing you can do is add space to your C:\ drive or any other folder that needs the space by going to Computer management -> Disk Management -> Go to unpartiont space and there you have a option to add space to any folder or drive to add more space.

Serzwik

Hi, Have run into the same things with W2K partitions. Looked at Partition Magic for Servers. Found a program on line from Germany called Partition Manager for a very reasonable price & it has done the trick for me several times.

Bob Osborn
MCSE

So all I do is copy pagefile.sys from the C drive to my F drive?

In Windows 2000 Environment Variables window I have a user variable for administrator and System variables boxes.

I want to just change the temp and tmp pointers on the system variables box?

Greg

No, you do not copy.
You reset pagefile.sys in My Computer, Properties, Advanced.
Then reboot your server.

ok I have the pagefile.sys on my F: drive now. I did not change any of the pointers. The system is running alot beter now.

Do I have to change the pointers? It doesn't seem to be efecting anything.

Greg

how about converting the drive into dynamic disk, that way you can add another hard drive and consider it as the same old hard drive but just expanded. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back