Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I remove my might Gigabyte 3D CPU Cooler ??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

transtec

MIS
Nov 1, 2005
LK
Hi guys,

I have an AMD64 3000+ processor ( socket 939 ). The cooler Ive used is the Gigabyte 3D Ultra Cooler GT.

The problem is I cannot seem to remove this mighty gizmo off the CPU as the thermal paste or whatever you call it ( that you put on top of the CPU heat spreader to capture more heat ) is keeping this glued to the CPU. I read somewehre that if I used this material ( some Shin Etsu stuff that came in a syringe, with the cooler ) I wudnt be able to remove the Cooler off the CPU, but hey comon that doesnt mean it's really gonna be stuck there is it ? I mean I cant even upgrade to a new dual core if i cant remove the cooler off it ? So what do u guys suggest ? Is this the end of CPU upgrades for me ?

So you don't believe warnings? LOL
Sounds like you're stuck to me! LOL

Sorry.

I believe it's recommended that you attempt this with the CPU warm. After undoing any clips, see if there's enough play to slightly rotate the heatsink clockwise and anticlockwise on top of the CPU, and at the same time gently lift upwards.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

hmm.... make it warm ? It doesnt usually go above 35 celcius, even with this cooler's fan spin level down to the lowest RPM. Anyways Ill try wat u say. No harm in givin it a try. I remember there was a little play last time I tried nudging it. But wasn't enuf pull it off... Might work with a little heat on like u say.

Anyways waiting for more brain storms...

One question is this a common scenario ( the cooler getting glued to the CPU ) ? or am i the first one ?

@stduc : Dude I dint have any other option back then but to use the stuff that came along with the Cooler. I was damn eager to get my new system built and up and running that I didnt spend much time looking for Thermal Pads, the ones I believe that dont glue the CPU to the cooler. So eher we are after ignoring the warnings !

If you want to upgrade the processor you should be able to remove the CPU and heatsink together. You'd have to buy a new heatsink if you couldn't get them apart but at least you could do the upgrade.

If you don't want to upgrade the CPU, just leave the cooler in place - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Regards

Nelviticus

When I suggested "warm", I was trying to distinguish between prising the cooler off when the system was stone cold hadn't been running for ages, and just after the sytem had been closed down and was still losing heat. My thought was that the heatsink compound would likely be slightly less viscous when warm, thereby allowing easier separation...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

G0AOZ has the right idea. Let your system run for awhile doing something processor intensive, the hotter the CPU gets the better. Then after everying is shut down, try twisting gently to see if the HSF moves any.

I'm not familiar with the setup that you have, but most heatsink compounds are not glues or adhesives and can be cleaned of easily. Sometimes they get a little "set" and it takes some effort, but I have never had one that actually glue itself to the CPU.

Unfortunately, if the instructions actually said that you wouldn't be able to remove it, then it may be an adhesive of some sort. If that is the case you're more likely to damage your CPU than remove the cooler.

As a follow up, usually the only time that you see an actual glue is with a passive heatsink. Since there are no parts to fail then there's no problem with gluing them. But with a heatsink/fan combo, it would be very unusual to use glue. If the cooling fan died you would have to throw out an expensive CPU with a relatively inexpensive heatsink.

Nelviticus
No offence Nelviticus but I find it rather strange that someone should award your rather negative answer with a star, and so I shall highlight the correct response by awarding my own star to GOAZ, his posting is the proper solution to a stuck CPU
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

No offence taken Martin - my answer wasn't supposed to be negative, it was just an 'add-on' to kmcferrin's.

The original poster seemed to be saying that he couldn't get the cooler off so wouldn't be able to upgrade his CPU. I just wanted to say that if you can't get it off using kmcferrin's method, that doesn't mean you can't upgrade. Also you don't need to remove the cooler unless you want to change it/the CPU.

Regards

Nelviticus

I'm just wondering how you would lift the ZIF lever with a hearsink/fan assembly that is presumably in the way?

Dell will tell you to just snatch it out of there, ZIF be damned...

I have heard that the use of hairdrier to heat the heastink and processor at the same time is effective in these sticky removals

Or, disconnect the fan, and fire up the system for 30 seconds. That should get it hot quickly. Might need some nail polish remover to get rid of glue, though.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

hmm ... using the hair dryer ? now that seems to be another good idea. I should say I tried removing the CPU using Nelviticus idea when I was trying to ply the heatsink off last time. I was pretty scared that it would damage my CPU that I dint try hard. Anyways it was hardly fixed to it that I sorta heard a slight creak inside and I stopped immediately. I dont wanna try messing my PC rite now cos Im workin on a project rite now. But I will definitley have to try these ideas and get the heatsink (HS) off the CPU cos I wanna definitley go dual core way. That was my main intention of goin for AMD's socket 939 rather than buying and Intel 915 chipset mobo, in the first place.

In the meantime Im really curious as to how this sticky business could take place only in my CPU. Infact this is the first case Ive come across where the HS has glued to the CPU.

And by the way, the WARNING that "some HSs will stick onto the CPUs if thermal paste was used ( and thus use a thermal pad )", was on the motherboard manual !

dgliena, I didnt see your post before my post above. How safe is it to run an AMD CPU without the heatsink fan spinning, ESPECIALLY AN AMD system ??! My specs are an AMD64 3000+ socket 939 CPU ( Winchester 1.8 GHz clock ) with no overclocking, 2 x 512 RAM sticks, nForce4-4x mobo etc etc. OK the gigabyte cooler has heat pipes but all I ask is, is it safe to run it this way ( without the fan spinning ) ? Cos I heard AMDs fry up easily without the fans.

Hi there, I just want to point out that the idea for warming it up then twisting it was G0AOZ's, not mine.

Regarding running the system with the fan disconnected: this MIGHT fry the CPU. It's possible for them to become damaged within seconds if there's no cooling, although I would guess the chance is fairly small if you keep it to 30 seconds. At least there will be a heatsink attached - doing this with neither a fan nor a heatsink would be much more risky.

Firstly, don't try removing anything until you're ready to upgrade, just in case things go wrong. Secondly, try G0AOZ's method before anything else, as if it works it's non-destructive. Thirdly, if that doesn't work, try my method - take out the CPU and cooler as one unit if you can get the lever up easily (this depends on the heatsink design - some block the lever). Fourthly, if nothing else works then go for dgilena's method, but be warned that the CPU *could* be damaged by being run without a fan.

I suspect you'll find that the coolder is stuck well but not completely welded on, and with a bit of warmth and gentle pressure it will come free.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back