Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I remove MSN Messenger??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intelsuit

MIS
Dec 11, 2001
US
We have setup a firewall that prevents all chat programs from operating. One of our sales persons has a new laptop wit XP Pro on it. MSN Messenger keeps comming up on his taskbar. He would like it removed but I cannot find where to uninstall it.
I have looked through Add/Remove programs but I have yet to find it. I can just delete it and any other files associated with it either in explorer or the registry but that can sometimes get kind of messy.
Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

To uninstall Windows Messenger completly from your computer

1. Using Notepad, open the file %windir%\inf\sysoc.inf
2. Change the line that reads

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

to

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

(delete the word "hide" but leave the commas)

3. Go to the Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs, and select the "Windows Components" tag.
4. "Windows Messenger" now appears at the bottom of the list. Remove it as you would any other application.

The other method to uninstall it completely,
Go to Start > Run, then type in this and run it. (one Line)

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Well, I tried the above suggestion but just succeeded to create a critical error. As luck wouyld have it XP recovered from the error.
I was looking in Outlook 2002 and found the following screen.
Well, I tried the above suggestion but just succeeded to create a critical error. As luck would have it XP recovered from the error.
I was looking in Outlook 2002 and found under Tools, Options,Other a check box that shows an option to Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook.
I took the check out of the box and it worked just fine.
No More Messenger.

Enjoy!!!

Did you use option one or two above. Both have worked in the past?

If you used Option 2 above did you replace %windir% with your System Directory (e.g. C:\WINNT or C:\WINDOWS)?

If you crashed because of putting in %windir% I need to modify my FAQ on this to warn against the possiblity.

Sorry you had problems... :~/ The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

There are lots and lots of silly policies being put in place by corporations to strip the abilities of a PC down to the point where soon they'll be little more than isolated desktops again.

This is one, as is the misguided effort to eliminate handheld and pocket PDA devices.

The truth is nearly all broaches (worms, viruses, hacked servers) are caused by these "box jockeys" failing to keep up with software patches and new releases that plug holes as they are uncovered.

But to be more helpful here...

What is causing Messenger to start? Just leave the software installed and stop whatever is autorunning it. If this person is using Outlook Express for example I believe it defaults to starting Messenger but can be set so that it doesn't.

Look in Tools|Options and the top few checkboxes on the General tab.

Also see what is in the Start Menu's Startup folder.

On my XP machine the only way Windows Messenger starts up is if I manually start it or if I open Outlook Express. Maybe your setup is this simple.

To unistall WIndows Messnger type this in the Run command "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" I hope this helps and enjoy... Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back