Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I reduce disk usage in BE10d

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindouglas

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2005
US
I've got a few jobs running that keep 7 days worth of backups, every day the backup grows larger, even though I have them on incremental using modified time. I also tried archive bit. I figured that the first backup would be large and the subsequent backups would only be the changed files. Am I using the wrong backup method? Hardware compression is also on. Thanks for any help

Tell me more about it.

How many data are talking about?
What is your BE version?
What is your Tape Drive model or library?

If you using modified time you must run a FULL using Modified time. The Incremental MUST use the same selection list as the FULL by modified time. The FULL must complete sucessfully for the Backup Exec database to keep track of the files and "modified" times. It gets entered in the Backup Exec SQL database..if the jobs fails it may not updated properly thus the incremental becuse another FULL sometimes. When you run the Inrementals by "modified" time its compared to the FULL backups database list by time, etc. If your backing up UNIX then there is no way it will work correctly

How many data are talking about? Gigs and gigs, I'm easily filling a 500GB HD

What is your BE version? 10d with the latest hotfixes

What is your Tape Drive model or library? just straight to disk, no tape, no archiving, just a 7 day version history of backups

I did switch to differential instead of incremental and that seems to have helped, but some servers are still backing up the same amount each time, well others are doing as they should. I'll keep looking into it and let you guys know. Anymore suggestions would be much appreciated! thanks everyone!!

Make sure you have the disablelastaccess ENABLED on all servers.

This option is the key that sets the Bit ON/OFF every this you do the backup. by default this is ON.

to enable it go to prompt command and type

fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 0

This option don't affect any application, because this is only the bit information.

And you need first to have a Full backup that will reset the bit, and then you will have a huge difference in your differential backup.

REMEMBER -- the differential backup DON'T reset the bit.
that means everyday will increase the amount of data until you make the full backup again.

Cool, I'll try that on my test box. Exactly, I have a full job run once a week and then every other day a dif will run. I set the media overwrite and append protection to 1 week, does that mean the media will be overwritten on the 8th day? Is that the proper way to get it to overwrite the media every week?

Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated.

If you set the protection to 7 days. It's 7 days after the job is finished.

If the job finish 2:00pm 28/03/06 you count 7 days after that.

I'd recommend you use 6 days overwrite for you Friday Full backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back