Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I recreate an acitve directory computer account? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHead2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
How can I recreate an acitve directory computer account if one got deleted?

Simply go into Active Directory Users and COmputers and create a new computer account for the machine in the Computers subfolder. Do so by right-clicking the computers container and going to New>Computer and filling in a unique name

You can't recreate any of the previous permissions or settings however automatically. Once it's deleted it's gone and un-recoverable from just recreating the account/computer even if you use the exact same name. -------------------------------
MCSE in training.
Currently I've gone through the following books:
70-210 Win2K Professional
70-215 Win2K Server

If you have backed up your system state data (Active Directory Database) then you can restore that deleted computer account. Just make sure that the system state data has not yet exceeded the tombstone value.
To restore the deleted computer account, reboot the the AD domain controller, press F8, choose Directory Services Restore Mode,(you must know the password which you inputted in the system when you perform a dcpromo)>login using that administrator account and password. Restore the system state data using the ntbackup utility.Do not restart the system yet when prompted. Open a command prompt window, type in the ntdsutil command, type "auth rest" (for authoritative restore), type in "restore subtree + DN (DN is the location - Cn=computername,Cn=computers,DC=microsoft,DC=com). If you have type in the right container, there should be no problem of restoring that deleted computer account.
Restart the system normally, and verify if the computer account has been restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back