Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I Re-Install just IE? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
I just cleaned a computer with a tremendous amount of spyware. Now IE doesn't work--it just hangs on startup. Email, network connectivity, etc. is fine (I'm fixing this over a vnc session). I'm thinking one of the key files may have been deleted in this process.

How can I reinstall (or otherwise fix) just IE? It's on XP Home, which doesn't seem to have the sys file checker, so I don't know which files may be bad, I think I may just have to reinstall the whole thing. Remember--I can't go to Windows Update because I have no browser. Thanks for any help.
--J

since it seems to me you can connect to the internet, you can download your desired version here

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

oh i forgot to mention, the download size of ie6.0sp1 is 77.6MB so if you only have a dial-up connection, you should think twice before downloading the file.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

Thanks kilroy. Yes, I can get to the internet from my machine, but the one I'm fixing is miles away and I'm doing it via VNC. It has connectivity to the basic internet cloud, but IE itself is trashed.

I tried that site via ftp and can't log on anonymously, and I don't know any valid login so I still can't get to it via ftp from the machine in question. I can get to it via your http link from here, and I considered emailing it, but I'm certain it will be blocked due to size. I guess I could open the port for file sharing temorarily and copy it from my machine to that one.

That's a good link, and I'll definitly make use of that.
--J

jsteph,

Another thing you can try (I know it is in XP Pro, not totally sure about home) is under your windows directory there is an inf directory that is hidden. There is an ie.inf file that will reinstall internet explorer. you can right click the file and install it from that menu. hope this helps,

~Tatum

Have a look on some of the frisbees (sorry promotional CDs) that come along. AOL has a version of IE6 on it, but with the AOL triangle instead of the world spinning in the top left corner

right corner .. just remembered why I get lost when listening to instructions in the car :)

open up c:\windows\inf

right click ie.inf and select install

when prompted for files either point to the i386 directory

Thanks everyone! I finally got it--there was a program IEFix.exe that I found and it worked. I think it may have been an automated way of doing the .inf right-click--it first said it was setting a registry key to show IE as not installed, and then did it's thing. All problems are a distant memory now.
--J

Dollar...a belated star...that link has proved extremely resourceful!
--J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back